Thursday, July 26, 2012

Mary Tamm, "Doctor Who" companion Romana, dies at age 62



Celebrities usually die in three's...or so the legend goes. Yet so far this past week there have been four! But it wasn't until I happened upon the news just now that Mary Tamm had passed away that I had my 'oh, wow' moment out of all of them.

There are certainly a few that I did not acknowledge that I really need to (Ernest Borgnine), but this is for Mary.

She was the first actress to play one of my absolute favorite companions on Doctor Who...Romana. This was back in the days of Tom Baker towards the late 70's and she only played the role for one series. Lala Ward, who would go on to become Mrs Tom Baker for a time, took on the part for a further two series.

She's probably more known as the first time lord and near equal to The Doctor on the show. Yet the both of them combined created a character more than just a damsel in distress at a time when companions, especially female, were someone for the Doctor to rescue rather than be a driving force in each adventure. Romana took the show in a new direction and I always felt that they should bring back the character, possibly even to have her own series.

I actually met Mary Tamm in Philadelphia in the mid-80's and she was very nice and very gracious. I didn't know she had cancer, although the actress has certainly just been a part of my appreciation for "Doctor Who" over these last three decades.

She died after a long battle with cancer and I'm very saddened to learn of her passing. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

You can read more about Mary's indelible mark on "Doctor Who" right here.

2 Comments:

At July 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Anonymous allen said...

We're losing 'em left and right. Sadly, our childhood is slowly slipping away.

 
At July 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

I know, seriously!! I was JUST thinking about that when I heard the news!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home