Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"A League of Their Own": 20 years later there's still no crying in baseball!

In and around remembering movie icons from thirty years ago as well as the three cinematic icons we're about to visit in the heartland of the US and Canada, I'm certainly not forgetting the fact that this week marks the 20th Anniversary of Penny Marshall's 1992 baseball flick honoring the women of the AAGPBL.

"A League of Their Own" was released on July 1, 1992 and soon became one of my favorite movies of all time. When I visited the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown during the late 90's I absolutely had to make a stop at the 'Women in Baseball' Exhibit. Certainly in a different part of the building as portrayed at the end of the movie, I continued to immerse in the history of the league. An interest which began right after the first time I saw the movie. I even picked up a book or two at that time.

Amongst the original uniforms and souvenirs from that era they also had a number of props from "A League of Their Own", including the LIFE Magazine cover with the photo of Geena Davis doing a split to catch the foul ball.

Of course I need to watch it sometime this month in the 10th Box. But hey, wait in line!! There's so much more on my plate movie-wise at the moment, even beyond our trip beginning this Saturday. Got another festival I'm putting together for after we get back. Probably starting beyond "The Dark Knight Rises" premiere on July 20.

"A League of Their Own" is hilarious, emotional, thrilling and just flat out fun! But just don't look at me when player-in-training Shirley Baker turns back towards the announcement board to see if she's on the team or cut...and begins to cry because she can't read. Gets me every time.

2 Comments:

At July 5, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Blogger MsBeekeeper said...

I really want to go there, as well!

 
At July 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Yes, I would love to go back!! When we head back east one of these times we should go! It's only about an hour from Albany. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home