Wednesday, June 13, 2012

30: The Summer of 1982 Film Festival

If you're not of the Spielberg Generation or perhaps been living in Siberia for the past month then you probably don't realize that this is the 30th Anniversary of 6 movies that defined the most iconic summer of all time!

"The Road Warrior", "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan", "Poltergeist", "E.T.", "Blade Runner" and "Tron" were all released within a month and a half period starting in late May of 1982. These movies would go on to redefine cinema and take their place as true classics of action, fantasy, horror and science fiction.

The Alamo Drafthouse is having a film festival all this month in honor of that pinnacle year. The only problem is their list of movies is cluttered with very forgettable fare. Flicks like "Q: The Winged Serpent", "The Sword and The Sorcerer", "Friday The 13th in 3D" and "Class of 1984" (seriously?) were never really on anyone's radar as far as long term shrine-age and I think they were just trying to fill out the run.

They did manage to secure five of the six but were unfortunately unable to lock down "Blade Runner". I understand that the studio (and Ridley Scott) have always been picky about where the film is shown, but still...the Harrison Ford starer is A MUST and leaves the event somewhat uneven.

I, on the other hand, will be highlighting 'The Essential Six'. Beginning this upcoming weekend a more focused film festival is doing it the right way...in my home theatre!

It's called '30'...and will honor all six icons that are celebrating three decades right now. Beginning Saturday I'll be running a double feature of "The Road Warrior" and "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" followed during the week by "E.T." and "Poltergeist", finally rolling into the next weekend to wrap everything up with "Blade Runner" (The original 1982 cut) and "Tron".

The 10th Box site is being updated as we speak so stay tuned! I'm expecting a high turnout of fans and friends and I may have to seriously overstock the concession stand. LOL!

3 Comments:

At June 14, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Anonymous allen said...

Oh man, gotta order my tickets!

BTW - I was one of the few that actually enjoyed "The Sword and the Sorcerer." I saw it on a weekday (after it had opened) at Cine 10. I even remember which theater it was in, but can't remember the number now. But if we walked in the old Cine 10 right now, I could find it and maybe even get us to my seat!

Another iconic feature opened that May as well - "Conan the Barbarian" - yet another movie I REALLY enjoyed. Of course this was during my "epic fantasy" geek phase. "The Beastmaster" was another 1982 fantasy (starring Marc Singer) that went right to the top of my must-see list. AND don't forget, "The Dark Crystal" was released that summer too!

Hmm... I think the 10th Box needs to run another summer of '82 film-fest.

 
At June 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

O.K. I totally give!

Yes, John Carpenter's "The Thing" did also arrive in theatres during this pivotal year in cinema. The only issue is I was too scared to see it then! LOL! So, for that reason alone, I have not included a screening along with the lineup. But that's not to say the movie isn't a classic! It completely is!!

And hey, are you ready for this?

I still, to this day, have not seen but only a few minutes of the flick. Wow, right?!

 
At June 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Anonymous allen said...

Oh crap, forgot about "The Thing!"
Yeah, that movie scared the $#!+ out of me! There are a couple scenes that just make me cringe, even today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home