Tuesday, May 1, 2012

New addition to the 10th Box Cinema: retro popcorn machine!

For my birthday, Rebecca gave me one of the key ingredients to the concession stand area right outside my home theater.

This retro popcorn machine is the exact one I had my eye on in Fry's Electronics over a year ago. One day while picking up something in the store, I just happened down the aisle where they normally had them in stock. Not seeing the usual display model, I asked when they were getting more in. Turned out the popper was being discontinued! Yikes!

Rebecca came to the rescue and immediately realized it would make a great gift for my birthday which was under two weeks away at that point. Turns out it was available on Amazon and she quickly put an order in. Yay, Rebecca!! All I have to do is find some artificial popcorn to fill the bottom with.

So now I have the popcorn machine I always wanted proudly sitting on top of my temporary concession stand (a REAL one is coming soon!). You can check out photos of the new gear along with more additions to the Cine 10 tribute wall in my 10th Box Cinema photo set on Flickr.

The wall, which is directly behind the new popper and concession area, was built around that EXIT sign I rescued from the closed Cine 10 just months before the wrecking ball demolished a piece of my childhood. Originally I was going to completely refurbish the sign (sanding, painting and repairing the light fixtures) to hang right outside the home theater. Then the voice of reason and practicality stepped in; Rebecca mentioned that I should leave the sign just the way I found it....and that made the best sense of all.

Completely untouched from it's original hanging position right inside the door to the once popular Albany movie theater, the EXIT sign now resides in a glass and wood display case accompanied by photos of the Cine 10 from when it was open and after the closure. Of course I really wanted to make this tribute wall look authentic. So just for fun I decided to include a framed placard with a brief history of the venue. Just one more touch that adds to the overall atmosphere of going to the movies that means so much to me!

3 Comments:

At May 2, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Anonymous allen said...

Most excellent!
Is there anything for the tribute wall you need? Next time I'm in Albany maybe I can help hunt it down.
Off to Flickr!

 
At May 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Not that I can think of at the moment. Although I SERIOUSLY wish I could procure a photo of the Cine 1-2-3-4 during the early days! I did try and contact the parent company through a sister theatre that's still open in Connecticut (think I mentioned this before) but didn't get anywhere. Need to work harder at getting to the company department that would have such materials!!

BTW, I did print and frame that somewhat hi-res opening night ad you found for me....although I do need to take a photo of that as well. It's on a wall to the right of the pic above.

 
At May 2, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Anonymous allen said...

"BTW, I did print and frame that somewhat hi-res opening night ad you found for me....although I do need to take a photo of that as well. It's on a wall to the right of the pic above."

COOL!

Well, I'll keep my eyes and ears open in any case. Plus, my parents are frequent flea market attendees, I'll put them on the case too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home