Friday, December 23, 2011

An ample workload of cool projects....and my first full-on trailer!

A lot has been happening at work and the parade of very cool studio films continues, including one highly anticipated movie from next summer.

The Golden Globe nominations (which I'm about to finally comment on in one of my next posts) spurned a flurry of award-geared spots for "My Week with Marilyn" which I was a part of. A broadcast spot for "Red Tails" went to finish so there's another project I can now mention. I have it in hand and will be posting shortly. Another movie coming out in early Spring has seen me cutting two broadcast spots for (to be revealed later).

Now here's the BIG news!

I CAN NOT mention the title of this highly anticipated movie coming out next summer, but we were given it by the studio to cut broadcast spots. Despite what they ordered, my boss very much wants to give them a trailer and gave one of the editors here the task of creating something completely without direction or inspiration. I've had a lot of down time over the past two weeks due to the looming end-of-year holidays so I took it upon myself to go in and ask if I could take a crack at cutting one myself. Keep in mind that I started here at In Sync working on broadcast spots with the thought that if I did great with those they'd move me into trailers as well. He said 'yes' to my request and was glad to see me taking the initiative.

After making my first cut, and not only putting my passion for the project but also my desire to be noticed here for what I could expansively create, I waited with baited breath for the creative director and my boss (who was now watching from his holiday vacation location) to check out my trailer.

The response was amazing!

They both felt I'd done a really affective, perfectly paced, seriously creative job! With only three extremely minor changes, the second cut was uploaded for approval. First thing in the morning yesterday I received a text from my boss: 'love the trailer, dude. Great sound design'. Keep in mind this is all before it goes out the door for the studio to see. During a conference call later in the day my boss echoed his text, saying I did a fantastic job while cutting my trailer teeth here at In Sync. This is a major turning point for me just six months after arriving here.

From all the positive feedback I've received over the past couple of days (including some of the other editors, etc.) I know I've proven to them that I can also be handed trailers to cut as well as broadcast spots. Not that I had any doubt that this would come to pass. I'm just really glad I took the initiative to step forward and say 'let me do this'. And the really interesting thing is I just learned that another editor here did the exact same thing about a year ago, so the path I chose was perfect.

Now, two trailers have been submitted for studio approval. One from me and one from the editor who was originally handed the project. Not sure when exactly we'll hear any feedback being that this is the week before Christmas and certainly a lot of people are on vacation. Whatever happens, the main thing is I grabbed my boss' attention for sure!

2 Comments:

At December 23, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Anonymous Allen said...

You. Are. The. Man!

I'll go see whatever crappy movie it's playing with just so I can see it on the big screen! LOL!

 
At December 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Yay!!! Thank you!! YES, definitely a trailer to see on the big screen. Hopefully what I've cut will be approved by the studio! Fingers crossed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home