Friday, October 21, 2011

The Hollywood Reporter Key Art Awards

I was asked about a week and a half ago here at work if I wanted to go to the Hollywood Reporter's Key Art Awards. Even though at the time I would have been a bit more excited to be asked to the Golden Trailer Awards instead, I began to realize as the event was happening this past Wednesday and on the following day when everyone was talking about it that maybe I should have gone.

Even though I wasn't nominated for anything, I began to do a little more research as to the overall importance of the Key Arts and exactly how long they've been around. The Golden Trailers have been in existence for a little over ten years. The Key Arts, forty years! In fact they just celebrated that milestone with Monday night's event.

My thinking had always been that the GTA's were more closely associated with winning the Oscar for trailers. The KA's came across as a trade paper acknowledgement rather than a major film organization shining the spotlight on achievement. Something I didn't need to get overly excited about. As of this week I've begun to think that this was a misconception.

The Key Arts honor achievement in all things movie advertising; from trailers and broadcast spots to 1-sheets and print ads to DVD packaging to movie theater standees and everything in between. This year's event was held at the Arclight Dome in Hollywood which of course is a beautiful theatre. Several people from In Sync were in attendance as well as representatives from all the major trailer houses.

In part I feel like I missed out. But in the end my realization became that next year, when perhaps I may be nominated for a trailer or broadcast spot, attending this obvious high level award show would resonate so much more. Click on the award photo to go to the official site. This is the newly revamped statue, BTW. Previously it was a tall, slim crystal pyramid.

2 Comments:

At October 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Anonymous allen said...

Whoops!
Well, like ya said, next year after you've been nominated you can go. Of course I suppose you'll be taking Rebecca as your plus-one. ;)

 
At October 21, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Yes, more than likely! Although I wasn't aware that anyone from here were able to get extra tickets for their significant others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home