Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Superman's new movie suit...two words: God. Awful.

And with a resounding "what the hell is this shit!!" while continuously shaking my head back and forth, my eyes recoiled from some new photos of Henry Cavill in his Superman costume from the forthcoming "Man of Steel". Right off the top: the red trunks ARE GONE!!! Seriously?!! I mean C'MON!!! Don't fuck with an icon! This was a BAD decision. Plus, the entire outfit head-to-toe is WAY over-stylized. Does anyone with a brain or grasp of the Superman legend get that this is kind of, well....WRONG??!!

Click on the photo for the full report on hollywoodreporter.com.

Some fans are saying if they can change Batman's costume for "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" why can't they change this. The answer: you can easily accept the real world alteration and functionality of Christian Bale's gear more than changing the most iconic superhero costume in the world.

One of my first thoughts when I saw Cavill's outfit: what is this, a steam punk version? Something out of Buck Rogers from the 30's? It's like what if Superman appeared in 1911, not 2011. I actually LOVE the new Spider-Man costume in comparison!...and if you've read my opinion of that then you know this must be bad. I know we haven't even seen the first trailer yet but I just feel like stopping in my tracks, turning around, and heading back down the road to 1978 so I can savor the Christopher Reeve version just that much more. This is feeling like a deal breaker and my Superman-purist blood pressure is peaking.

The thing is...the most flamboyant outfit can be taken seriously if you have the right actor in it. That's what Christopher Reeve did. Any other actor might have made that role ridiculous. Not to say that the character of Superman is ridiculous at all. Just that the wrong performance could have turned Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's creation into a caricature. Yet Reeve brought not just strength, but humanity to Superman in a way that had never been done before...or even since for that matter. Granted, we haven't seen Cavill's portrayal yet and you're probably wondering what character has to do with the new suit. The bottom line is the suit can absolutely be the full-on iconic version; not overly pimped out AND with the red trunks. What will make it believable is how the actor inside wears it.

See? Simple. Oh yeah, I forgot we're dealing with Generation Pilgrim now. Well, I guess we're fucked. LOL!

If this movie tanks and even seriously screws the pooch as far as canon is concerned (Christopher Nolan's involvement not withstanding) this will truly be the end of the Man of Steel on the big screen, at least in our lifetime. I'm definitely more upset about this over "The Avengers" because I have a MAJOR investment in this character. Just seems like there are too many superhero movies on the horizon that I'm very much on the fence about.

...OH, except for "The Dark Knight Rises"! I don't need to see any trailers, broadcast spots or more photos. It's going to be undeniably great, I have absolutely no doubt.

Like with other movies I've been skeptical about, if "The Man of Steel" is good I"ll be the first one to say I was wrong. BUT.....we'll see.

6 Comments:

At September 1, 2011 at 1:33 AM, Anonymous Allen said...

Seriously, WTF?!?!
I hate it. Period.

I'm posting an article on your Facebook page, you'll appreciate it.

And in other geek horror news... Lucas keeps effing with every ORIGINAL Star Wars fan!

Hey Hollywood! Stop f***ing around! Write good scripts, hire good actors, the rest will take care of itself. Stop tweaking, stop "fixing" what's wrong. STOP, STOP, STOP!!!

 
At September 1, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Yup. I just don't know who approves these things out here. Whoever it is, I REALLY wanna hit them with an 'S' shaped shovel!

Lucas is insane. That's now my official designation for him. He truly has become our generation's Howard Hughes. He's probably in a small screening room constantly, viewing and re-viewing all of the "Star Wars" movies, not letting a soul in, while lining up bottles of piss by the door for an assistant to empty. And if you know what movie reference that is you'll win a prize! LOL!

Yes, thank you!!! How about some good scripts, people! Stop with the F-ing remakes and overly visual effects-laden blockbusters that suck! BTW, I'm happy that we have the original "Star Wars" trilogy on DVD (even though it's the Laserdisc masters) but we SERIOUSLY need NEW remastered versions of the classics! Stop dicking around, George! That's probably going to be his dying present to the fans.

You saw Lucas' new tweeks with Vader's "NNOOOO!!" and Obi-Wan scaring off the Tuskin Raiders, now with a noise that sounds like a 55-year-old woman giving birth? AaaaaaaAAAAAHHHHHH-DA-DA-DA-DA-DA!!! Ugh!

 
At September 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Anonymous Allen said...

My guess is "The Aviator" - Right?

 
At September 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

DING, DING, DING, DING!!!! That is correct!! O.K. so you can take what's behind curtain #1, or choose the box that the lovely Carol is pointing to.

 
At September 3, 2011 at 4:35 AM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

Um, oh, er... The box! I'll take the box! *jumping up and down while dressed as a big baby*

 
At September 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

HA-HA!! YES!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home