Friday, April 15, 2011

"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" teaser trailer

Just saw the first teaser trailer for "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" yesterday morning. So far I like what they're doing with it. Can't say that I'm super excited, but definitely eager to see more.

The one thing I wonder about is how are the apes, starting a rebellion solely based in the San Francisco area, going to secure any kind of foothold on supremacy by the end of the movie? Certainly the police or military would be called in the quell the situation. Of course in the original franchise, apes began as pets then turned into slaves pretty much worldwide. A planetary revolution is much more all encompassing.

Another question that came up as I was discussing this with Allen yesterday; will Caesar speak by the end of the film? I think it would be very cool if there was a climactic scene where the apes had a standoff with police (or some human force) trying to communicate with them to stand down. In reply, Caesar's first word would be a very stern 'no'...which is the iconic word spoken to apes time and time again in the original, foretold by Cornelius in "Escape" that one day an ape said 'no' to his human masters. That would totally honor the classic series and make for a very satisfying connection!



All the buzz over "Rise" this week has made me want to watch "Conquest" again, so I'll be screening it in the 10th Box over the weekend. I was just reading about the unrated cut that's on the Blu-ray from 2008. Not having ventured into that format quite yet, I still haven't witnessed what I'm learning is a much more violent and darker version, even negating the storyline of "Battle for the Planet of the Apes" due to it's original 'kill the humans' ending before the studio felt it was too harsh.

I posted this once before, but here again is that original conclusion...

2 Comments:

At April 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Anonymous Allen said...

So what's at the snack bar? Banana Splits or Banana Cream Pie served with 'Grape Juice Plus'?

 
At April 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

The snack bar special was Caesar's 'Go Ape' Banana Split. Luckily my stomach didn't 'revolt'. LOL! And BTW...I actually DID pick up one last night! Yummy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home