Friday, March 11, 2011

The longest uninterrupted stretch of work comes to a brief end

After being here at Happy Hour Creative for just a little under seven months straight, my run has come to a brief conclusion. Finished up working on a trailer for a new Cartoon Network movie and was informed this afternoon that there's just nothing for me to do next week. This has now become the longest period of time I've worked at one post house (freelance) continuously since my career began!! And originally it might have ended last friday, but I received an extension due to additional changes from the studio.

The good news is there are a number of projects just about to drop and that more than likely (I was also told) I'd be back here the week after, or at most the following week. More good news; I'm more than covered financially for this period of down time. But...there'll be no idle hands about it!

The first thing I intend to do, above all else right away, is upgrade my resume and add more recent trailers and broadcast spots I've been working on to my pro website. Then it's firebomb time! I'll be making my usual round of e-mails to the now 73 post houses I continue to try and get into. Unfortunately I can't really turn around and contact some of my past post house affiliations due to a shift in the industry; The Cannery is no longer in business as of last year, and I've just removed that link from this site. New Wave Entertainment was hit hard by the softening of the DVD market and that's primarily what I cut there. What I need to focus on now is moving forward, even though I very much look forward to returning to Happy Hour in the very near future.

Aside from furthering my career, this short time off will allow me to take care of some other things that have been piling up due to the shortage of time brought on by 7 months straight of work. Plus, I can actually SLEEP IN!! WOOHOO!!! I almost forgot what that was like!

My MINI update is coming next.

2 Comments:

At March 12, 2011 at 5:48 AM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

Happy Hour ought to just hire you full-time already.
But, hey, God bless 'em for keeping you employed as long as they have!

 
At March 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

I seriously wish they would hire me on staff. That's definitely still in the cards. In the meantime I'm still a free agent. Gotta keep pushing forward! And yes, it's definitely been GREAT that they've been keeping me around not only for the past seven months straight, but also pretty regularly since last April!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home