Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Is Marvel headed for the wall?

This week saw a few interesting reveals into Marvel's stable of upcoming superhero movies....and things are starting to not look so super.

The first photo of Andrew Garfield in the new Spider-Man costume (click on the photo for a larger view) was publicly released....and IT SUCKS!!! FLAT OUT!! Overly detailed and crazily stylized, it's a far cry from the oh-so-very-faithful design from the Sam Raimi films. I'd been feeling for some time that the new "Spider-Man" movie was on it's way to screwing the pooch and this one photo pretty much cemented my take on the whole thing. Is this a fact? No. Just a MAJOR hunch.

Then yesterday I read that the character of J. Jonah Jameson has been dropped from the script. Seriously?! Jameson is as iconic as Perry White in Superman and NEEDS to be part of the story! Of course the same could be said for Mary Jane but she's out as well. Now we get Gwen Stacey played by Emma Stone. I love Emma, but Gwen has always come across as a second tier love interest. BTW, why are so many people online saying that Kirsten Dunst was awful as as MJ?! I just don't get that. I thought she was great!

Whatever. This is the new world they're creating for the next Spidey adventure. A world I think a lot of people will be looking at and crying for the days when a Spider-Man movie was GOOD in the hands of Sam Raimi! Thanks to the studio's overly hyperactive and greedy demands, this brand new off-the-assembly-line, overly tricked-out model is probably not going to survive the crash test. But hey, that's just me. I'll be waiting for the first trailer to debut and then I'll be right back here again, probably berating how even worse the whole idea of this reboot seemed in the first place.

With word that the trailer for "Captain America" has been pushed back because the footage wasn't 'amazing enough', the so-so reaction to the first "Thor" trailer, and Marvel cramming multiple Avenger characters into the "Iron Man 3" script and down Jon Favreau's throat, I'm truly wondering whether or not the studio, that has now melded with Disney, is about to jump the shark. When all is said and done, Favreau's going to look just that much better for having packed his bags and left the "IM" franchise when he did. Because things are about to get super freaky!

Oh and BTW, "The Avengers" is going to suck. Just had to get that in there one more time. LOL!

4 Comments:

At January 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

I'm okay with Gwen Stacy being in the origin story of this reboot. After all she was Peter's first love right? NOW, I hope (beyond hope) that they kill her, in the first or second movie, like they did in the comics. Her death is a major milestone in Peter Parker's life and in the career of Spider-man. I doubt they'll go as far as that but it would add some weight and legitimacy to this new go-round.

Yeah, WTF? No J. Jonah Jameson? Are they fu**ing high!?!?!

But in defense of Marvel (sort of, not 100%), "Spider-man" is out of their hands. Unfortunately for them, and us, it is not being produced by Marvel Studios. The same goes for "X-men: First Class" (which I think is gonna be a train wreck), these films were rushed into production just to keep the rights from reverting back to Marvel.

As for Cap & Thor? I have high hopes for both and I do think they will be surprise hits. First with the faithful fanboys, and second with audiences at large. I like everything I've seen so far from both of those movies. Captain America especially will play to a much broader audience; Action, Romance, Comedy and beating up Nazis FTW! LOL

I have no opinion on "The Avengers" yet. I like the cast, I like the director, I love the comic book. I gotta see some photos and videos before I can start loving or hating.

 
At January 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Yeah, they should definitely kill off Gwen Stacy...and that would coincide with what happened in the comics nicely. Pretty sucky about Jameson!

When I talk Marvel I'm talking about the Marvel Comics stable. I know that Sony is handling Spidey...they still have the rights since Raimi's versions. I actually have generally good feelings about "X-Men: First Class" until they prove otherwise with a bad trailer, etc. Of course the same thing's going to the next Superman movie; rights about the revert. NOT the best way to make a movie about an iconic, world-loved character AT ALL!!

Time will tell how "Captain America" and "Thor" play out. We'll certainly have more footage to check out when we head to Wondercon at the beginning of April. Joe Johnston at the helm is a big plus with Cap because of "The Rocketeer". However, that was 20 years ago. Does he still have 'it'? Let's hope so.

"The Avengers" just feels like a complete train wreck heading our way. Good cast and director, although I was never a big fan of the comic. Team-ups seem so hard to translate to the big screen. If they or someone else does it and it works, fantastic! Again, time will tell.

 
At January 19, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

BTW -
"A world I think a lot of people will be looking at and crying for the days when a Spider-Man movie was GOOD in the hands of Sam Raimi!"
- I completely agree!

 
At January 19, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Oh, yes....it WILL come to pass!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home