Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Tron Legacy" soundtrack

I wanted to listen to Daft Punk's "Tron Legacy" from start to finish before seeing the movie because I felt that it would not only enhance the new movie beautifully, but could stand on it's own as a musical journey like only Daft Punk could offer.

As I began listening on our flight from Albany to Burbank, then continuing as I drove to work yesterday, I found a rich electronic symphony that harkened back to the time before Wendy Carlos' "Tron" score. Back to when she was Walter Carlos composing the music for "A Clockwork Orange"; those deep Moog bass keys that set a dark tone for Stanley Kubrick's classic, and now for "Tron Legacy". The music for the original "Tron" is merely a memory here. But then again this is a different time, a different world that we're about to experience. Different from the early days of the computer we first witnessed.

Any illusions to that piece of work might seem out of place here, and anyone whose looking for Daft Punk's score to encompass their unique pumping electronic beat might be in for a surprise. With the exception of "Derezzed", "End of Line", and the end title cue, what they've given this movie is a grand musical palette accented by some well placed electronica flourishes that mirror this digital world inside the computer.

Right now I'm on my third go around of the soundtrack, and I think at this point you've probably detected that I absolutely LOVE IT! We are now two days from the midnight show, and the funny thing is I feel more in tune with "Tron" right now than I do with Christmas. Even though I have the tree and all the decorations up at home. I keep alternating back an forth between Christmas music and the soundtrack to "Tron Legacy".

Here is Daft Punk's "Derezzed" music video which was just released this past week.

2 Comments:

At December 14, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

I really like the soundtrack too! I especially enjoy its, dark, moodiness and the fact that they aren't clubbing you over the head with a big, bombastic score.

 
At December 15, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Yeah, there's definitely a nice balance between Daft Punk's style channeling Wendy Carlos and a really wonderful cinematic score. Oh and I forgot to mention, love the original "Tron" stylings of the "Derezzed" video!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home