Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The trees are GONE!

BTW, I never had a chance to write this when I was back east.

Two trees that were at least nine stories tall have been cut down by my aunt who lives across the street from my Mom! During the past decade the twin giants had been slowly dying, towering above both houses and the street that ran between. They were always a marvel to behold, especially when I was a child playing in the yard during the summer or building snow forts in the winter near their feet.

The taller branches had been cut a few years back, but I always assumed the rest of the tree would be there for a very long time. One day last week, as we arrived at my Mom's, suddenly I saw the last vestige of those once behemoths laying on the ground after a saw team took them down with only the stumps remaining. It was kind of like a piece of my childhood had been destroyed!

Where two wide tree trunks and multiple leafy branches rose way into the sky, now only sky remained. It was an incredible sight and kind of sad. I'm sure the stumps will go next. Hopefully she'll plant new trees which in a hundred years will rise to the height of my once childhood companions.

2 Comments:

At December 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

You know, it's funny you should mention missing trees. Even after all these years I STILL miss two big trees that used to stand in my parents front yard.

We have home movies and photos of friends, cousins and us playing on the rope swings my Dad put up, or climbing their big branches. And once I panicked and crashed our go cart into one of them!

It is strange, and gives you that melancholy feeling, when you go back to where you grew up and so much has changed and at the same time has not.

 
At December 14, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

I know, right? Wow, how coincidental...you had trees in your parents front yard as well.

You think that something like that will be there forever, even when everything else around you in changing. Definitely a melancholy feeling to see the place where you grew up altered. It will never, ever be the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home