Friday, October 1, 2010

TV show creator, writer, producer Stephen J. Cannell dies

Was pretty shocked to read a few minutes ago that prolific producer and writer Stephen J. Cannell passed away from complications of melanoma on Thursday. He was 69.

He had been in pretty good health and was even talking with William Katt about tackling a big budget "Greatest American Hero" theatrical movie. "GAH" of course was just one of the very successful shows Cannell gave us in the late 70s and early 80s which included "The A-Team", "Magnum P.I.", and "The Rockford Files". "Hero" of course was my favorite of the bunch. He continued to create, produce and write shows like "The Commish" through the 90's and this past decade. Plus, even as technology rose with the advent of the home computer, he continued to write on a typewriter during his entire career, just like you see in every one of his signature logos after one of the show's credits. I can even here the music as I'm writing this. Click on the photo for more info at the LA Times' Hero Worship.

Also, check out this incredible compilation of all of his signature logo ID's. What's amazing is you see the progression of his professional life as he appears just a little older in each one. I have to say my eye teared up a bit as the montage came to a close.

3 Comments:

At October 2, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

Thank you for the montage.
I was shocked when I go THR's email update about his death. How many shows did we grow up watching that he had a hand in? What an amazing career.

 
At October 2, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

Oh, and I like how each version showed more of his office and more of his awards as the years passed.

 
At October 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Yes, I agree. I love how you also see how his career grows and the awards stack up on his desk and shelf as he gets older. This really did come as a complete surprise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home