Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"Pee Wee's Big Adventure" rides to the 25th anniversary mark

The one thing I will always remember about the first time I saw "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" in the theatre was the scene where Large Marge picks Pee Wee up in her truck on a lonely highway. Her story about the worst accident she ever saw was punctuated by a crazy clamation look at Pee Wee, then back to normal as though nothing ever happened.

That one look had us literally laughing for 5 minutes straight, and we actually didn't stop until Pee Wee found himself at the truck stop after being dropped off. If you've seen the movie you know that's a long time. In fact we laughed so much that other people in the theatre were laughing at us laughing at the scene. It's absolutely one of the funniest moments in a movie that will repeatedly have me on the floor! Truly a classic!

"Pee Wee's Big Adventure" turned twenty five a little earlier this month, and with more than a few things going on I almost missed the actual release date tribute which was August 9. Tim Burton's first feature length movie will always be a cult fan favorite with early glimpses into the gothically stylistic path the wild haired director would continue to take, and Paul Reubens himself who has finally dusted off the character of Pee Wee with a series of live shows and some heated talk between himself and director Judd Apatow about a brand new Pee Wee movie which I am obviously very excited about!

If there's one thing we learned from the original film it's that there's no basement at The Alamo! Another of my favorite scenes is when Pee Wee realizes that Francis has stolen his bike and heads over to the fatbutt-er's mansion to confront him..."Oh really, where are they HOSIN' HIM DOWN?!!!" Just SO MANY quotable lines!! I think the last time I watched the movie was at least five years ago....shocking! So it's time to head back into the home theatre for an anniversary screening. Jeez, the big year of major cinema milestones continues!

"Why? What's the significance? I DON'T KNOW!!!"

2 Comments:

At August 25, 2010 at 3:09 AM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

Pee-Wee ruled! To this day Lisa and I still say "Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya."
I remember discovering him on his HBO special like so many others did. And like so many others I even watched "Pee-Wee's Playhouse" on Saturday mornings just to get more of the wacky man-child!

"I know you are but what am I?"

 
At August 25, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

"Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya." LOL!

I watched "Pee Wee's Playhouse" as well, although I only managed to catch a handful of them. I really should Netflix the seasons to watch more!

Really bummed that we didn't get to see him in person when his show was in LA. But that was last fall when money was really scarce. Hoping he comes back soon!

"I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home