Monday, June 28, 2010

"Space Battleship Yamato" feature film: looks amazing!

I was never a huge fan of Japanese anime, although I've always appreciated it's complexities, the sometimes hard edged and graphic novel style stories, and the beauty of it's animation. During the 80's I was exposed to quite a bit through friends I had in Boston who were full-on fanatics.

One of the anime series they enjoyed the most was the Japanese television show and movie entitled "Space Battleship Yamato", also known as "Space Cruiser Yamato". Some years later this would be dubbed into English and released in the US as "Star Blazers". I actually started watching it a bit when it was "Star Blazers", only a year or two later finally being introduced to the original Japanese language version.

There is now a big budget movie version directed by Takashi Yamazaki being released in December of this year, and I have to say it looks really incredible!! The Yamato, the characters, the costumes, the space battles and action, all faithfully recreated in live action from the original material. There's still enough of a hook in me from my brief immersion into the worlds of "Star Blazers" and "Space Battleship Yamato" to definitely want to check this out at Christmas!

Check out the first full trailer for "Space Battleship Yamato".

2 Comments:

At June 29, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Anonymous allen pinney said...

LOL. I won't understand a word of dialogue but it will be awesome to watch!

 
At June 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

I know, really! Hey, if it has subtitles, I'm good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home