Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A second wave of post house e-mailings

Man, did I get A LOT done today!! In part because there really wasn't a whole lot to do at Happy Hour.

The first cut of my "Dollhouse" spot went out to FOX for approval yesterday afternoon. They came back with only one minor change which I did last night. The second cut was sent out this morning. Chris said right away that this would be a lazy day and to relax. Thus began my 8.5 hours of basically being on standby...with pay!

Immediately I dove into the second list of post houses I'd narrowed down from listings on LA411.com. The heading under which these appear is 'commercial post houses'. However, I found that the types of projects they undertook were pretty varied; commercials, trailers, broadcast spots, feature films, DVD and web content, etc. Out of a list of 89, I found 27 houses that utilized creative editors. Combined with last week's new batch of 14 general post houses, plus 31 trailer and DVD post houses I've previously contacted, this brings a grand total of 73 post houses that now have the link to my pro website. Once again I marveled at the simplicity of the process; copy, paste, personalize, click, send, done. No DVD burning, no cover letter and resume printing, no supplies purchased, no trip to the post office. In fact that entire process seems ancient now in comparison!

Right away I started getting responses. A few said they weren't hiring at the moment but that they'd hang on to my link for future reference. Two ended up being dead e-mails so I called those companies to acquire the correct ones. Two more came back with automated responses that they were out of the office today but would be back tomorrow or the day after. Another said that they were not busy at the moment but to definitely contact them in the middle of July. Mark that one as having possibilities. The last to came in today mentioned that they were looking to expand their facility and add a trailer department, asking a few more details about my workflow and freelance history, etc.

And to cap the day off, I was finally able to design and put together those anniversary banners I've been trying to get to for the past four days! Great sense of accomplishment today and high hopes that I'll be able to crack into some of these new post houses, as well as the ones I continue to promote myself to.

3 Comments:

At June 24, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

Rockin' the modern convenience of electronic mail. Will wonders never cease?

BTW - 73?! Holy Crap that's a lot of post-production! LOL

 
At June 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

Yup...73!! Like I said, these are just the creative houses that employ creative editors. The list of everything else under the sun goes on and on.

 
At June 24, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

...and on, and on, and on...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home