Friday, May 14, 2010

Forth week at Happy Hour comes to a close

Finishing up my forth week at Happy Hour Creative. Warner Bros. asked for a new concept "Splice" spot to be cut, so I've been working on that for the past several days. BTW, the other project I was doing before this was what they call a 'rip-o-matic'. It's basically a trailer for a movie that doesn't exist yet, taking numerous clips from previous films to show the feel of what the new film will potentially be. Of course the trick is to not show faces of actors and cut it together in a way where you don't have enough time to identify the movie it's been lifted from.

Right now two studios are battling to get their version of "The Three Musketeers" filmed. Summit Entertainment contracted Happy Hour to do a 'rip-o-matic' trailer to promote the forthcoming Paul W.S. Anderson version for the Cannes Film Festival. One that will be filmed in 3D...Blah!, "The Three Musketeers" in 3D?! Awful idea! So in working on this piece, I used clips from several swashbucklers, including my beloved "Three" and "Four Musketeers" (two of my all time favorite movies), as well as "Pirates of the Caribbean", "The Duelists", "The Musketeer", "The Count of Monte Cristo", etc.

The other version up on the boards is Doug Liman's, who wants to follow in the footsteps of Robert Downey, Jr's "Sherlock Holmes", stylewise. All I want is for whichever film to make it to the finish line to be a FAITHFUL recreation of the book that's GOOD! Yeah, I hear you laughing....gee, that's the trick isn't it, in today's whiz bang 'gotta be contemporary' storytelling take.

At any rate, Summit loved my cut and didn't have any changes. Moving from that new "Splice" spot into a Disney game trailer, I know for a fact that I'll at least be working for a few days next week. Still hoping things will heat up that they'll need me for all five days. I'll know on Monday or Tuesday what's going to happen next.

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

I think I had a GI Joe that featured "Rip-O-Matic" face-tearing action AND kung fu grip!

 
At May 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

LOL!!! That's great! HA-HA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home