Friday, May 21, 2010

"The Empire Strikes Back": 30 years ago today!

On this day, thirty years ago, I went to my very first opening day movie; "The Empire Strikes Back". Before that I'd always relegated myself to going to a highly anticipated film the week after it opened, avoiding the crush of crowds clammering for tickets. After May 21, 1980 I realized what I was truly missing!

I knew I'd have to get to the Fox Colonie Theatre in Albany WAY in advance of the 7pm showtime. Of course back then that was a major feat; waiting in line a WHOLE day to see a movie on opening night! Today it's weeks and even months in advance. By the time I arrived at the theatre around noon there was already ten people in line ahead of me. So I opened up my paperback of "The Making of King Kong" (which I still own, BTW) and settled in for the wait.

Sometime in the mid-afternoon, a guy I knew from high school, Jeff, showed up with a friend of his. I hadn't seen him in two years (since we graduated in '78) and never really realized he was a fan. I was introduced to his friend who would sort of be the father to my life in the 80's, Paul Phillippsen. He invited me to go to a sci-fi convention (my first) in Albany called Fantacon later that fall. That would blossom into my finally meeting people and having friends as the decade unfolded. But I digress.

It was good to hang out with like minded fans as the hours ticked away until the box office opened and we were finally let into the theatre. Snacks were purchased, seats were found, and the lights dimmed. I don't think any of us really realized what we were in for. This would not be the "Star Wars" we'd seen three years before. This would be much darker with even more depth of character, peril, and real emotion, not to mention a major revelation. As the music swelled and the rebellion fleet veared away from us, the credits slammed in unexpectedly. It was over without resolution! A cliffhanger! I remember turning to Jeff and Paul proclaiming "AAAAAHHHH!!!...now we have to wait for THREE YEARS to find out what happens!!!"

As the lights came up we went out the side door to find a waiting reporter from a local TV news station, can't remember which one. She was asking people what they thought of the movie right after they saw it. I'll always remember that one little boy who said to her 'I loved when Darth Vader told Luke he was his father!". Everyone nearby shushed him loudly. Jeez, don't give it away!! I never did find out whether that was a live feed or not.

The Fox Colonie Theatre is long gone now. But every time I've passed by in later years I always think about seeing "Empire" there on opening night. The first of many opening nights in my lifetime.

2 Comments:

At May 22, 2010 at 5:17 AM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

Ya know I too have often wondered how many times our paths crossed in the years before we met at The New School.

Apparently Yoda was right: "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future." It just wasn't our density to meet until then. (Yes, I said 'density'!)

 
At May 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't have put it all better myself, Doc! At least you got IN on opening day, unlike myself, my 2 brothers and a friend, but you know that story! Were it otherwise, we probably would've met a lot sooner! I'll always remember and miss the Fox Colonie...Bill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home