Saturday, March 27, 2010

Robert Culp dies

Robert Culp's passing this week was a bit of a shock to me. I was lucky enough to meet him at Comic-Con almost two years ago. He seemed sharp as a tack and in great health, yet older, taking just a bit more time to get around. So hearing that he died shortly after hitting his head outside his Hollywood home, and to actually be of an age where something seemingly so minor could cause one's death, was kind of scary.

To a majority of TV fans around the world, Culp will forever be associated with the 60's television series "I Spy". But to me (and certainly to a just as powerful fan base) he'll always be Bill Maxwell from "The Greatest American Hero". The night after his death I pulled out "GAH" on DVD to watch a series of random episodes. They brought back a lot of memories from one of my all time favorite TV shows, and made me realize the real loss of Culp's passing. Maxwell's use of the food garbanzo beans in a sentence like "those green guys scared the garbanzo beans outta me!" and his habit of munching on dog biscuits were staples of Culp's character that will forever be immortalized in the show.

I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet the man in person at Comic-Con and hear him speak about his career and "GAH". Unfortunately due to time constraints today, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to pull up a photo or two from that meeting. In the meantime, read William Katt's reaction to Culp's death, and some really insightful comments from Bill Cosby on his "I Spy" co-star. And finally, here is the opening intro to "The Greatest American Hero".

2 Comments:

At March 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Anonymous allen pinney said...

It's so cool that you got to meet the man himself. I loved Bill Maxwell and his old-school Colt .45, combined with Culp's awesome line readings, he was a GREAT character that really helped make that show a classic.

Lisa and I are big fans of "Everybody Loves Raymond". Mr. Culp played the role of Deborah's father, Warren. Again it was such a classic Culp performance. the charm, the wit, that great line delivery. The guy always had a twinkle in his eye and a mischievous grin that made you instantly like him. So sad to see him go.

 
At March 27, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Blogger LA Filmcutter said...

I completely agree.

That twinkle in his eye, the barbs, the heart of gold that shown through from time to time in all of his characters. There was something undeniably fun about watching Culp take on a particular onscreen situation or co-star.

I never did see him on "Everybody Loves Raymond", but certainly heard about his great performance on the show. Continuing on with my viewing of "GAH". Believe it or not (no pun intended), I never did get through all of the episodes on the three seasons of DVDs. Definitely going to do that now. Of course I did see them all when they aired in the early 80s.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home