Saturday, November 14, 2009

New contacts at several top trailer houses!

A week ago this past Wednesday was my last day at Happy Hour Creative. Finished up the trailer on Monday and was on stand by for any changes that might come back on another project. By Wednesday it was pretty obvious they wouldn't need me for the rest of the week.

Before I left, I spoke with another editor by the name of Phil who'd I'd been talking with on and off over the six weeks on three projects. We had a couple of conversations about Trailer Park, of course one of the top trailers houses in the industry where everyone who worked at Happy Hour had migrated from. Phil worked with a specific producer over at Trailer Park quite a number of times and offered to give me his contact info. I happily accepted, and immediately went home to put together a reel and resume to send out.

My last check from Happy Hour was ready this past Thursday, so I went by to pick it up and ran into Chris, the head of the company. On a whim, I asked what he knew about this producer over at Trailer Park and that Phil had referred me. Chris told me he was always busy and worked editors pretty hard, which echoed what Phil said.

Now, here comes the important part.

Chris not only added his own referral to that producer as well, but also gave me another name at Trailer Park he said he'd be happy to speak with on my behalf. Plus, he offered referrals to two producers at Aspect Ratio and the head of mOcean, two other top trailer houses I interviewed with previously and have been trying to get into since 2002! WOW!!!

I felt like I was in the right place at the right time. I'd reconsidered picking up my check on Friday morning since I'd left a little later in the day and was certainly going to run into rush hour traffic. But I knew they were kind of expecting me on Thursday so I decided to go. Now I'm glad I did because if I'd waited I might not have had the same conversation with Chris or even seen him. Everything happens for a reason.

I'm now in the process of doing a bit more polishing on my reel. My design for the main menu needed to be better, and the minute long intro (that plays first when the DVD is inserted into the player) needed a minor change to highlight a higher end project. Didn't realize this would take most of the weekend, but then again I am a consummate perfectionist and always looking to improve my work.

Monday morning I'll be dropping five resumes and reels in the mail. With these referrals from Chris and Phil I'm feeling pretty good about the volume turning up on my career. The new year's coming, and things are going to turn around. I can feel it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home