Thursday, August 27, 2009

WOW!!! My John Hughes tribute screened!!!

Tuesday night was an AMAZING evening! And it's all thanks to Rebecca and one phone call I made yesterday!

I contacted FLUX about showing "Through The Eyes Of John Hughes" along with their screening of "The Breakfast Club" at The Montalbán Theatre in Hollywood. Here it was only a few hours before showtime, but I HAD to give it a shot! I got through and spoke with a guy named Jonathan who seemed to be running the organization. Told him about my video, also screened at the Hollywood Outdoor Theater a few weeks back, and that it was on YouTube for him to check out. He said to send the link, and about two hours later called me back. He said he really enjoyed the video and could I come to the theatre early so they could do a sound check! YES!!!

So Rebecca and I, with no tickets for the event in hand, travelled to the theatre and met Jonathan. We were ushered in about 45 minutes before the main doors opened. There was already a line of people down the block waiting to get in! Inside we made our way to the tech guy's AV setup inside the auditorium. He put my DVD in and suddenly those images everyone's been watching on YouTube lit up the 40 foot screen! I felt a tear come to my eye. I held Rebecca's hand as I watched the entire video unfold...and that was just the sound check! I couldn't wait for the actual screening! I also made sure to give Jonathan my card at that point in case we didn't have time later.

Next, we were given wrist bands for drinks and access to the VIP section in the balcony. We were SO IN!!! Along the main counter right inside the lobby, paper bags were lined up that had the "Breakfast Club" logo stamped on the front. Inside was a bag of chips and half a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Just like what Anthony Michael Hall eats in the movie..."PB&J's with the crusts cut off". O.K. so the crusts weren't cut off, but who cared! I was impressed with the fact that they thought to do this! They also had an array of candy on top of a couple of side counters...and amazingly all of these goodies were free! Yes, you heard it, FREE! Of course when the doors finally did open, people scoffed up as much of this stuff as possible. Especially some chubby chick who kept going back for more. Jeez, leave some for the people who are still coming in!

DJ Lady Sinclair spun tracks exclusively from John Hughes soundtracks. Even some of the more obscure ones I thought I only knew about...like from "Weird Science"! We were VERY impressed! Even drinks were on the house in the makeshift bar upstairs overlooking the main lobby. Very classy, and definitely more high end then the Hollywood Outdoor Cinema event. Even though that was pretty cool, this was just SO MUCH BETTER!!

Showtime! We stood at the top of the stairs as the ropes parted so we could take our seats in the VIP balcony section. Right up front in the middle...great view! Jonathan had told me that my tribute video would run immediately after "The Breakfast Club". That was perfect with me because it kind of built our anticipation to see my work on the big screen in front of an audience full of fans...and the audience was definitely PUMPED!!

Jonathan came out on stage to intro the movie, mentioning that there would be a special video tribute following the feature. The lights went down, the crowd roared, and Simple Minds' song slammed in as the audience sang along. It was magical, and Rebecca and I knew we were in for a fantastic evening! There was a great ebb and flow to audience ranging from wild laughter at the comedy and solemn silence during the dramatic and emotional scenes. John Bender's appearance on screen for the first time in the film drew the greatest applause, and no one was out of step or disrespectful to the movie or it's content.

As the feature began to wind down, I wondered whether the credits would roll and people might get up to leave, not remembering what Jonathan had said about a special tribute. Right after Bender's fist went in the air with that freeze frame, Jonathan quickly came out on stage to introduce my video. He said we were about to see 'a special John Hughes tribute by editor David Blanchard'. Cool! Even though I'd put my credit at the end of the piece, it was still great that he mentioned my name during the introduction. The lights went down again and up came the LA Filmcutter logo on the big screen. I took a deep breathe, squeezed Rebecca's hand, and the opening titles rolled.

The audience really reacted to their favorite moments that I used, laughing and cheering as the five-plus minute music video continued to roll. It was so amazing to see this on a proper movie screen in front of Hughes fans at an acclaimed Hollywood theatre...and I know I'm going to say that again before I finish writing this! As the visual and musical beats of the song faded, leaving Ferris Bueller on screen to end the piece, huge applause swelled up from everyone. After that final shot I'd added the title, 'John Hughes 1950 - 2009". Another round of applause came up from below and around us. At that point I was probably about 600 feet above the theatre on a movie high. Just an amazing feeling to see you work up on the big screen! I'd probably have to say that this even tops the Hollywood Bowl performances that I cut the montages for! Because everything on that screen was my work; my edit decisions, music choice, dialogue sound-ups, etc.

There was an after-party, also hosted by DJ Lady Sinclair, in the bar area above the lobby. Many people came dressed in 80's gear, including a few who tried to emulate their favorite Hughes character. A photographer from the LA Times was there taking photos, and a number of those you can find right here on Flickr. The 80's tunes cranked up and people danced the night away.

This was such an incredible night, being an official John Hughes tribute at an acclaimed LA theatre (there, I said it again!), and with a huge crowd of avid John Hughes fans! I left there crazy / happy at what we'd seen and that I was able to have my tribute shown on such short notice!

5 Comments:

At August 28, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mucho Congratulations Mr. Fish! :)

Love, Mrs. PO

 
At August 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"TTHHHRRREEEE"!...."DOO YOOUU!?" Many congrats to you, my friend. You never cease to amaze me! By the way, who is that guy standing in front of the poster? Just kidding, ha ha! Once again, I'm very proud of you! Give a call when you can, preferably when you become rich and famous (mostly RICH)!...Bill.

 
At August 31, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Anonymous LA Filmcutter said...

Thank you, Mrs Po!!! I am still basking in the limelight!

 
At August 31, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Anonymous LA Filmcutter said...

LOL!!! "NO...I NEVER DID IT!!!" HA-HA!! Thank you for the kudos, Bill!

 
At September 1, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Anonymous Allen said...

BOO-YAA!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home