Thursday, July 16, 2009

Michael Jackson & Farrah Fawcett

I have specific memories attached to Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett that I wanted to share. Even though it's taken me awhile to write about it here.

Farrah Fawcett will always represent sitting in front of the TV and watching Charlie's Angels when I was a kid and a teenager. Wednesday nights at 9pm. I actually never had her poster, believe it or not! Although my Mom was more worried about the Lynda Carter and Pat Benatar posters on my closet doors. She probably would have felt the same way about Farrah. But I do remember going to the stores and seeing her million dollar smile and red bathing suit everywhere I turned.

The time I think about first when it comes to Michael Jackson is when his video for "Thriller" premiered on MTV in 1984. A number of us all got together at a friend's house in Springfield, MA to munch on pizza and watch the clock, waiting for the precious 8pm first showing. We, of course, ate it up (the video as well as the pizza!) and couldn't wait for the repeat showing shortly after that. The mid 1980's was really the height of Michael Jackson's career, and certainly where the hearts of fans reached out to during his passing.

What a vast difference the memorilization of these two icons was. One, in a very private ceremony, briefly glimpsed at by the press from across the street. The other, a global time of mourning. With blocked off freeways, presidential level motorcades bypassing rush hour traffic, followed by a flock of helicopters all vying for the best shot of that golden casket. Not to mention the globally televised memorial service.

I think a lot of us, who were old enough to remember these two during their most prominent and popular times, feel like part of their childhood has finally passed as well. I know I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home