Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Ghostbusters" at 25

On June 4, 1984 the world was introduced to getting slimed.

"Ghsotbusters" had been a highly advertised movie prior to it's release, and I remember going to a huge Creation sci-fi convention in Chicago a few months prior where they had a TON of promotional stuff!

Buttons, T-shirts, posters, ghost swatters (think fly swatters, only for ghosts), picture record discs in the shape of the 'no ghosts' logo with Ray Parker Jr's "Ghostbusters" theme...you name it! And at the table where I gorged myself on all of this stuff, they had a monitor showing several versions of the trailer in a loop. I don't know how many times we watched that, but I was always fascinated by the clip of the dolly shot that pushed in under Ackroyd, Murray, and Ramis, looking up in awe at something huge and menacing. We kept wondering what they were looking at in wide-eyed anticipation. Wow!

Although the sequel was kind of a bust and the forthcoming sequel could be really good considering whose onboard already, the original became an iconic movie experience and a merchandising bananza. Once again I had an anniversary screening, wondering to myself.....WHERE DID 25 YEARS GO!

BTW, I actually still have buttons, a ghost swatter, and the picture disc in the shape of the 'no ghosts' logo with Ray Parker Jr's "Ghostbusters" theme!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home