Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dom DeLuise dies at 75

One of THE funnymen I grew up with has passed away, and I was shocked to hear the news yesterday. Dom DeLuise starred in many films throughtout his career. But the ones that will always come to mind first for me are "Blazing Saddles", "Silent Movie", "The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother", "Cannonball Run", and as the voice of Pizza The Hutt in "Spaceballs". Plus later in life, he went on to write a series of cookbooks, as well as several children's books.

In memory of Dom, I watched Gene Wilder's directorial debut film, "The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother", in which Deluise played an Italian blackmailer and wannabe opera singer. My God, everyone looked so young in the movie...Gene, Madeline Kahn, and Dom, who was actually much slimmer then. "Smarter Brother" was released around Christmas 1975 and marked the first time I saw Dom DeLuise in a feature film. I'd seem him in several television appearances, but this was the beginning of my appreciation for him on the big screen, which would continue throughout the 70's.

Read his obituary in the LA Times by clicking his photo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home