Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"Star Trek": Oh, it's gonna be SOOO GOOOD!!!

I know I haven't seen the new "Star Trek" yet, but still have some pretty negative views of the new movie. As far as I'm concerned, the trailers speak for themselves. The mentality seems to be let's have giant overblown space battles with Kirk and Spock high five-ing one another.

I'm getting really sick of several critics, including the ones from The Hollywood Reporter and UK's The Mail, stating 'fans of the original series will not be disappointed'. I'll be the judge of that! There are a lot of folks out there...purists like myself...who are having severe issue with this reboot. Now, call my purist views an unfortunate wall that'll blind me from really enjoying this movie. I see that and can agree with it. It's just that we're dealing with something so iconic that it deserves a certain amount of respect for the sake of the material and for the sake of the fans. There's either a fine line one walks in bringing the beginnings of the original crew to the screen, or there's the trash can where one throws out most of the staple content and 're-imagines' everything. This seems to be the latter.

Ugh! There's that awful word! 'Re-imagine'.

1 Comments:

At April 22, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Anonymous allen pinney said...

OH COME ON!!! How far up yer @$$ is that stick? Now pull it out, sit down and shut up!

I'm no purist, but I am a fan. Star Trek: TOS is awesome. And there is no way that a new younger cast can top the Shat, Nimoy and the rest of the gang. And "The Wrath of Khan" can't be beat right? But I am still looking forward to this new movie very much.

I also can acknowledge that the entire Trek franchise has grown as moldy as bleu cheese. And it needs a kick in the pants. I get what JJ and his cohorts are doing by re-imagining (that's right, I said it!) the Trek universe. I can dig it.

I drank the J.J. Abrams Kool-Aid a long time ago. Though, of course, for every "Alias" or "Cloverfield" we get there is also a "What About Brian" lurking just around the corner.

Listen there's no need to make "Terminator: Salvation" either. But they are! And I don't hear ya gettin' all anti-McG crazy over that now do I? Can I get a WTF for "Charlies Angels: Full Throttle"? Hmm? Can I?

OK, that's it. I'll shut up my self up.

(The preceding was presented with peace, love and a smile from the East Coast.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home