Friday, April 10, 2009

"Ladyhawke"...where's the special edition?

Watched "Ladyhawke" (one of my favorite movies) last night for the first time since I've had the Da-Lite screen. From the very first frame I was amazed at how bad the transfer looked. I had watched this DVD on a larger sized television before and it seemed fine. However, blowing it up to 80 x 45 inches really took a toll on the clarity.

The print seemed grainy, and the actual digital transfer to disc was somewhat poor. Not to mention the fact that the aspect ratio from side to side didn't even fill out the entire screen. There were a few inches of black on the right and left. That's when I turned over the box and was reminded of when this was released: 1997. Wow! I had forgotten that this movie was one of the first to be released on DVD when the format was just getting started twelve years ago! The difference, of course, between discs being produced today and back then is like night and day. And I'm not talking about extras or even menus. Just the quality of the movie itself.

Now, even more so, I'd really like to see a special edition come out. With all the releases and re-releases of hundreds of titles over the years, I'm amazed this never got the follow up treatment. There's definitely a cult followng for "Ladyhawke" and maybe some of the fans should get online and show their support somewhere.

1 Comments:

At April 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Anonymous allen pinney said...

OKAY - let's start a petition! I played the soundtrack so much I wore out the cassette tape.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home