Friday, February 13, 2009

"Watchmen" read...ready for the movie!

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, flying back and forth between Albany and Burbank, I finished reading "Watchmen". All 12 issues (bound together in it's current publication form) are incredibly multi-layered, wildly detailed, and in a lot of ways very down to earth in it's portrayal of what would happen if costumed heros really existed during the 20th Century. I'm looking forward to how they'll encompass and dissect so much into one movie. Although I've heard that Zack Snyder is planning an almost three hour special edition for the DVD release. So if for any reason some parts of the graphic novel seem too condensed, just wait. Frankly, I'm not too worried.

Some friends of mine had read it during the time of it's publication in the 80's, but it never seemed like something I'd enjoy or connect with. Certainly now, with the release of the movie almost upon us, I knew I wanted to finally take it in close enough to the premiere to really appreciate how the story and imagery was transposed to the big screen.

There is so much to digest in the graphic novel, and I found myself re-reading several sections I had just passed through to really absord this world Alan Moore had created. And there's definitely a cinematic look to Dave Gibbons artwork in a number of places.

Three weeks to go until the premiere. I am SO primed and ready!

1 Comments:

At February 16, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Anonymous allen said...

I've had a hardcover version for a long time. But bought the new paperback version so I could re-read it and then pass it on to Ryan.
I don't know if even a three-hour version can encompass all of the layers and minutia contained in the comic series. You could spend hours and hours just studying it panel-by-panel to see all of Gibbon's details.
There is going to be a DVD release of the Black Freighter & Under the Hood stories that won't be in the theatrical release.
Ryan and I will definitely be buying tickets for this one!

P.S. Boston just announced as a new city on the "Fanboys" world tour!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home