Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Golden Globes & Heath Ledger's award

About a week ago I enjoyed the Golden Globes mainly for one reason: Heath Ledger's Best Supporting Actor nod.

Certainly many people felt this award would be a given. But to actually see it happen, the crowd rising for a standing ovation and Director Christopher Nolan's emotional acceptance speech, gave pause to the incredible depth of performance Heath gave us with his performance as The Joker in "The Dark Knight", and a realization that we would never see how far he would travel to explore his talent.

Kate Winslet's double win for "The Reader" (Best Supporting Actress) and "Revolutionary Road" (Best Actress) was another high point for me that night. And I am sure her performance in "Road" will translate to an Oscar nomination as well.

I have to say I enjoyed "Slumdog Millionaire" more than I expected. Even though this is traditionally not my kind of movie. We might as well consider "Slumdog" to be the Oscar winner for Best Picture this year because it seems to have everyone tightly in it's grasp.

Mickey Rourke's Best Actor win for "The Wrestler" was also very well deserved. Another movie I enjoyed even more than I originally thought I would, this is clearly the comeback performance of the year. And even though Rourke is the latest actor to have his face stretched somewhat beyond recognition, he still grabs you in the first few minutes of the movie and doesn't let go until the end.

And of course you can't go wrong when you give Tina Fey any award. I loved when, during her acceptance speech, Tina said she always loved The Hollywood Foreign Press and collected all of their action figures.

Now it's on to the Oscar nomination announcement just a few hours from now. Right now it seems very possible that "The Dark Knight" may be nominated for Best Picture. Here's hoping...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home