Sunday, January 18, 2009

2008: Yes, it really was "the best, most amazing, incredibly fun year!!!"

First and foremost, 2008 delivered on everything I had hoped for when I wrote a post last January entitled "2008: The Best, Most Amazing, Incredibly Fun Year Has Arrived!!!"

Career wise, it certainly topped all previous years due to the caliber of projects I was involved with. At New Wave Entertainment I worked on DVDs for "The Other Boleyn Girl", "Wanted", and the real capper and most sought after project of my entire year, "The Dark Knight". Then in late May, thanks to my friend Maria who happened to catch the first televised ceremony for The Golden Trailer Awards, I caught the names of several post houses I'd never heard of before and knew I had to get in touch with. Some were DVD and some were trailer houses.

One such trailer house, Happy Hour Creative, responded the very next day after receiving my reel and resume. A few weeks later I found myself working on several TV trailers for the DVD release of "The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian", as well as one of the trailers for "Sex Drive". One of my career goals had now been met; to freelance at a trailer house with the lead-in to a staff position. That's exactly what they presented to me with the view that as work increased, only then could they put me on permanent payroll. And I think that may finally be happening sometime in the first third of this year.

When work ran out at Happy Hour in late November, New Wave was right there to take up the slack, having me work on the DVD for the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Certainly not a great movie, but still a high end studio project. In fact the majority of the year was filled with high end studio work. Even by mid-year I'd surpassed the level I'd reached during 2007. Each year I move up a couple more steps in my career. And this year promises to be even bigger.

In June I met my amazing, wonderful, and incredible girlfriend Rebecca. It's fantastic to be with someone who absolutely 'gets' me, and I 'get' her as well. We laugh, we travel, we have crazy fun times! And one of the cool things is it's not just a relationship, it's like hanging out with a best friend I've known for many years. There's just this perfect comfort level.

As July approached, another amazing year at Comic-Con enticed Bill Burke to finally attend, and he had a great time! In fact, at the end of the event we, Bill, Rebecca, and I, all decided to buy our memberships for next year right then and there. Bill's looking forward to this year's Comic-Con as well as Wondercon in San Francisco which the three of us will be attending in a little over a month.

And of course, Barack Obama winning the election to become our first African-American President Of The United States!!!

So here's looking ahead, the day before Obama is sworn in, to a year filled with hope, wonder, and just flat out, full throttle fun times!

1 Comments:

At January 21, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Anonymous allen pinney said...

right on my friend - I'm still living vicariously through your success!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home