Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"Superman" to get studio reboot

"Here it comes...turn your head, Lois. I think we're about to get fired."

The word has come down from on high. Warner Bros. has decided to reboot the Superman franchise. I think this is a good and bad idea. Certainly I feel Bryan Singer did a good job maintaining and nurturing the Christopher Reeve mantle we all love so much. But the love story did bog things down a bit after the incredible plane crash buzz clip.

Singer did make some very hopeful remarks at Comic-Con two years ago about how he wanted to get all "Wrath Of Khan" with the next movie, and I think he should be given that opportunity. But I do see the studio's standpoint regarding the under-performance of "Superman Returns" at the box office and would certainly love to see a different set of eyes focused on The Man Of Steel. Eyes that are passionate about the material with a true respect for the character and worlds that Kal-El inhabits. Bringing us a movie that we can truly marvel at and say 'Yes! this is the Superman we've been wanting for the 21st century'. A connection to the Reeve movies, I think, is paramount. Our generation grew up with him, and to toss any inspirations from "Superman, The Movie" aside would just be wrong.

If Singer were attached I'd be very happy....because I trust his vision. Considering the fact that "X2: X-Men United" was even better than "X-Men" (which I also loved) I cling to his ability to make a kick ass Superman movie.

But ultimately, taking cues from "Batman Begins", and even more so the now widely successful "Dark Knight", it makes sense for Warner Bros. to throw everything out and give us something completely fresh...and hopefully emotional and spectacular.

Click on the photo above for the full story at superherohype.com

1 Comments:

At August 27, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

"Great Caesar's ghost!" Fanboy minds think alike don't they? I'd like to hear Bill's take on this too.
I'm all in favor of a reboot as long as they stay true to the character and maintain the forward momentum generated by Bryan Singer. Maybe Singer can write and produce and let somebody else direct?
Good to see the site back up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home