Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Oscar Week & The Kodak Theater Pilgrimage

Time to head over to The Kodak Theater for my annual pre-Oscars walk of the red carpet. This always centers me; the movies, the film industry, my career. All these things in their purist forms and dreams.

The Eddies, the awards given by A.C.E.: The American Cinema Editors, were just presented with film editor Christopher Rouse's "The Bourne Ultimatum" taking top honors. Certainly the best of the pack which included "Into the Wild", "Michael Clayton", "No Country for Old Men", and "There Will Be Blood". Although I would definitely place "Blood" next to "Bourne". "Bourne" winning will also be the outcome for the Oscars Sunday night where it's pitted against "Blood" once more.

My other picks for some of the Academy Award nominations are:

Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis in "There Will Be Blood"
This is a lock on everyone's best bet card and I agree after having seen the film last weekend.

Best Actress - Julie Christie in "Away From Her"
Even though I would love to see Ellen Page grab this award for "Juno", my clear favorite this year. Christie's last Oscar win was 42 years ago and they may decide to give it to her as a career nod as opposed to this one performance.

Best Picture - Probably going to be a toss up between "Atonement" (not a great movie from what I've heard) and "No Country For Old Men". Have not seen either yet but I would still love to see "Juno" pull off the surprise upset. Hey, I loved it! Who needs all that depressing war angst and violent outlaws hunting for their stolen money. I think a pregnant 16 year trying to figure out what to do with her baby is much more uplifting in this year of downer films.

Best Original Screenplay - I am only mentioning this because I think this (in reality as opposed to my fantasy world) is where "Juno" will shine. Since the Best Picture nod will go to something else, and the Academy knows this is a wonderful film that deserves top honors, they'll hand the Original Screenplay award to "Juno" as an acknowledgement that this too is a Best Picture.

In general I'm hoping that "Juno" turns out to be the little movie that could at this year's 80th event.

1 Comments:

At February 22, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Anonymous Allen Pinney said...

I'm with you on the Oscar picks.
Although I do think "No Country" will win Best Picture and Best Director(s).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home