Friday, February 22, 2008

Kodak Moment

At The Cannery on Wednesday they had to do a major export of the various pieces for "Shutter" (I cut the main one), so I had a couple of hours to stop by The Kodak Theatre in daylight. Glad for the time because I originally knew the only opportunity this week would be in the evening. Was able to side step fighting rush hour in and out of Hollywood.

It was great once again to take in the place that would be the industry focal point this weekend. Usually when I look for an opening in the plastic that covers the red carpet I find one along the edge. This time there was one the size of a slice of bread practically right in the middle of the entry arch. I reached down and put my hand on The Precious just as a security guard looked my way. He said very nicely that I probably should not do that. I told him I came there every year to do just that, like touching the grass at Fenway or Yankee Stadium. He smiled and said his supervisor was behind him and doesn't even let them touch it. No worries, I said. I had my feel.

I walked back in towards the main staircase that leads to the actual entrance to the theatre itself. As I was about to take a turn towards the parking garage, I noticed another opening in the plastic. Near the very edge there was a pile of carpet threads that had not been vacuumed away yet, clearly because they'd just installed the carpet recently. I leaned down, grabbed a handful of threats to no one's dismay, and then headed for the car. It might sound funny but hey, I'd love to grab myself even a half inch of the actual Academy Awards red carpet as a token of my dreams! But this was the best, most easily accessible thing I could grab...so I grabbed it!

On Sunday I'll be watching the stars walk on that first spot of carpet I touched near the entry arch, and I'll be thinking......some day.

2 Comments:

At February 23, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's Bill. I didn't read much of the Oscar blog, since I won't be seeing them this year, and don't wanna torture myself any further. But I DID see the Superman soundtrack offer, and...IT'S JUST SO FUCKIN' BIIIGGG! Also checked out the Indy 4 trailer again Oh, God fuckin' bless it! Can't wait! On a more personal and disappointing note...The "Hi Bill" and I broke up last week, after 15 years of ..well...you know..."special girls". More on that later. Give a call when you can. Best wishes, Bill.

 
At February 24, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Bill again! How ya' doin'? I'm here at work, and managed to catch at least an hour and a half of the Oscars on a nearby tv. Don't know how much of it you saw, but the memorial tribute was VERY disappointing! No emotion. No major applause. Just a few recognizeable names amid a sea of inside Hollywood executives. No major tribute to Heath Ledger, just a single shot of him @ the end, to VERY little applause. And NO Roy Scheider!! I shut it off just after Harrison Ford's nomination announcements for best screenplay. In a nutshell, I don't think I really missed too much this year. Oh, well, gotta go back to work. Give a call when you can. Best wishes, Bill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home