Wednesday, January 23, 2008

He's gone...

I think I am still in shock by yesterday's news that Heath Ledger had died.

What? WHAT?!

Bill D.'s text came in at 2pm saying, "Holy shit! The Joker is DEAD! Heath Ledger...". I was just getting home from running a few errands so I dashed upstairs to turn on my computer to get online. All the time thinking this can't be right, this can't be right. And then there it was...

Suddenly the phone was ringing and e-mails were coming in from other friends who were seeing if I'd heard yet.

Here was someone who was so talented and was just coming into his own as a serious and multi faceted actor. Fearlessly willing to take on very challenging roles instead of resting on his good looks to play hero or romantic leads. "Brokeback Mountain" was truly the beginning of that, and his turn as The Joker in this summer's "The Dark Knight" has been one of the most highly anticipated roles of the year for Heath. As well as being highly anticipated in general.

Now we will never see this incredible talent again. And I'm sure his riveting characterization of The Joker will be the fitting pinnacle to his all too short career. Watching "The Dark Knight" will be very different now.

Heath Ledger was a good soul, a man with an incredibly positive outlook on life which he shared with the people around him, and an actor who was constantly and passionately driven to perfecting his craft.

I am sure after the medical examinations are complete we will learn that his death was accidental. I don't believe he intentionally overdosed or intended to kill himself. Even though this past year had been very difficult.

...I am still speechless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home