Monday, December 3, 2007

"Saturday Night Fever" 30th Anniversary Academy Screening

During my conversation with one of the guys waiting outside the Ricardo Montalban Theater to get Eric Idle's autograph, we talked about the sold out Academy screening of "Star Wars" back in April. Because tickets went so quickly (indicated by the big SOLD OUT notice on the official site), I was left with a very missed opportunity to enjoy a 30th Anniversary screening that was extremely important to me. No one else, not even the Star Wars Celebration IV, had such a screening as we approached the actual anniversary date in May. This was very disappointing and very frustrating.

This guy told me to basically ignore the words SOLD OUT, go to the theater on event night, and wait in the standby line for tickets. I'd mentioned the "Saturday Night Fever" screening and he said 'DO IT!'. So I decided to take his advice...I am SO, SO glad I did!

When I called the Samuel Goldwyn Theatre to verify (where these Academy screenings take place) I was told to arrive around 5pm where I'd be given a number. When I got there I was the 12th person in line. They wait until 15 minutes before showtime to hand out those standby tickets. However a short time later a man came by and asked if I wanted to buy his extra ticket. SCORE! It was only $5 (the regular ticket price), so I snatched it up and headed in to to get my seat.

Once inside the theater, which is very posh and very 'Academy' BTW, I noticed the forward center section was roped off for family members of the cast who would be attending the panel discussion after the film. The Academy website said John Travolta was the special guest (too cool!) but when I began to read the program, handed to me as I entered the auditorium, I saw that Joseph Cali ('Joey'), Paul Pape, ('Double J.'), Barry Miller, ('Bobby C.'), and Donna Pescow ('Annette') would also be part of the panel discussion. WOW, BONUS!!

I'd actually met a "Fever" fan outside the theater who also scored a ticket. We talked quite a bit before heading in and ended up sitting together for the movie. Sid Ganis, President of the Academy, intro'd the evening flanked by two towering Oscar statues. As the movie unspooled the audience was amazing! Everyone was respectfully audible and in tune with every iconic image and line of dialogue. When that first shot of Travolta walking down the street came on and the camera panned up to his face, people went 'WOOOO!'. At the end of his big solo dance number to The Bee Gees "You Should Be Dancing" everyone applauded enthusiastically. It just kicked the shit out of the other anniversary screenings I'd attended over at The Arclight. Don't get me wrong, those are still great. This was just a complete and total lovefest.

After the film ended, John Travolta and company (who were all sitting in that roped off area of the auditorium as well) took the stage with the panel moderator, Newsweek critic David Ansen. Some interesting 30 year observances followed ending with the entire group signing autographs for people who approached the stage. I kept thinking to myself 'man, I am so glad I listened to that guy at Eric Idle's play!'. Did not manage to meet Travolta because he was pretty swamped, but I did get near
Paul Pape, Barry Miller, and Donna Pescow. What a fantastic evening!

Up next at The Goldwyn was the Academy's 25th Anniversary of "E.T." with a cast and crew reunion. And I certainly was NOT going to miss that. Details in the next post...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home