Wednesday, July 11, 2007

New Wave Entertainment Report Card: Straight A's!

After the call came in during C4 that they had another project for me at New Wave, I ended up working on three in a row during the month of June and ending just this past week! WOW!

I started with the 20th Anniversary DVD for "Poltergeist", swinging right into two different pieces for the "Star Trek: The Original Series" HD DVD set. Unfortunately I can't exactly talk about the specific content of these. Suffice to say it's some pretty cool stuff.

This past Friday was my last day on the "Trek" project. The workflow is slowing just a bit for the next two weeks so therefore I won't be needed. I'd heard in advance that Sam, one of the post production coordinators, always kept work tight with staff editors and only brought in freelancers when it was absolutely necessary. Mainly for budgetary reasons.

But here is the best news of all.

I've been hearing some great feedback about me and my creative abilities from the producers I've worked with, which is fantastic to hear. This is just that much sweeter because of where I am now. On the "Trek" project there were two assistant producers and two senior producers. This is how the process goes at New Wave I am learning. The assistants work with the editor to get him or her all the materials needed and guide the first rough cut through the early stages. Once the project is on it's way, the senior producer or producers come by the edit bay to check on the progress. Mainly I'm left on my own most of the time to cut.

Anyway, I learned that during a meeting the week before, Sam inquired about editor status and work flow on several projects these producers were overseeing. All four of them commented strongly that they really liked me and loved my work. It goes without saying that this continued praise from producers at New Wave is so very important and will keep me coming back more in the future. I had already mentioned to Sam as well as the producers for "Poltergeist" and "Trek" that I was not only interested in coming back for more, but that I'd even be open to a long term position. Dale, another post coordinator, came by my edit bay Friday afternoon to check in. She said they were looking to bring me back in around the beginning of August to work on Season 2 of the "Star Trek" original series HD DVD. This would ultimately depend on scheduling for the project, she added. From there they'd probably be looking to keep me around on a permalance basis. This is so I can work with more producers to make sure I play well with others. And from what I gather, at that point a determination about a possible staff position, if available, would be made.

This was not spelled out exactly to me. But right now it certainly sounds like I'm being tested for a potential long term position with New Wave...and I couldn't be happier!! On top of all of this, it was mentioned to me Friday that another editor is about to leave the company. Apparently they're not looking to fill that person's position right away. But it's certainly great to hear that there could be a specific opening for me.

And so it goes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home