Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"Star Wars" Academy Screening Sold Out

A special 30th anniversary screening of the original "Star Wars" is scheduled for April 23 at The Samual Goldwin Theater in conjunction with the A.M.P.A.S. film series, "Great To Be Nominated".

I knew tickets were going on sale for just "Star Wars" April 9th, and that package tickets for the entire series were going on sale April 2nd. However I kept going back and forth because Celebration IV is coming up next month. Even though it's not scheduled yet, they MUST have a special screening of the first film.

I saw the list of post screening guests who would be doing a Q&A afterward, full info about the event to be found here. George Lucas is headlining an impressive list. Of course I knew ticket lines would be hurrendously long, with college kids possibly camping out for days in advance. Yuck. I love the enthusiasm the fans have, and the dedication when it comes to being part of the mutual fan events. However when I'm involved, and it has to do with getting a specific seat, then I start to get frustrated and annoyed. Even though I started working at KO Creative on Wilshire Blvd. this week, 7 blocks from The Academy where tickets went on sale, I still felt it would be a major logisitical nightmare to seriously try for this.

So Monday I walked over to see what the situation was and found that they had already sold out the week before. Everyone bought the $30 full event package deal, probably just to go to "Star Wars" and see George and company! Yes I'm dissapointed. But I have to believe there will be a special screening of the first film either at CIV or even more appropriately at Mann's Chinese Theater, a mere nine miles away, where it originally premiered in 1977. They HAVE to do something, and if they don't it will be a severely missed opportunity.

I know Celebration IV will be having a special screening of all 6 films on Wednesday, May 23, the day before the event. However I really want to have the first film as it's own special thing. I'm keeping a daily watch on the Mann's Chinese Theater and Arclight Cinemas sites in hopes this will come to fruition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home