Friday, April 20, 2007

Trailers, Star Wars, and a Productive Week Off

Finished cutting the trailer for "The Wizard Of Gore" starring Crispin Glover last Friday. Things were slowing for a brief period at KO Creative so they did not need me to work this week as was tentatively planned. I had my cut finished but this week would be the client's first viewing and any changes that might come back. This is being handled by one of their staff editors since of course they have first dibs when the amount of work does not require the need for a freelance editor. All in all it was fun and creatively challenging to work on, even thought the film isn't really that good.

Shawna, the post coordinator, told me things would be picking up again in a few weeks and they would very likely be giving me a call to come back in. She told me I top the call list when they need to bring in a freelancer which was great to hear. Hopefully I'll be heading back soon the way it sounds.

I also received a call from a new trailer house. Vurv, Inc. does mostly urban and youth oriented movie promotion; trailers, 1-sheets, and motion graphics. "Hustle & Flow" and "2 Fast 2 Furious" is among their most recent high profile trailers. They contacted me after checking out my resume online. Asked if I was interested in cutting a trailer for a feature film called "The Ministers" starring John Laguizamo and Harvey Keitel. The director of this also did "Empire". They were mainly checking my availability since they had not nailed down a start date yet. There was a possibility that it might have happened this week but now looks like it will be later instead of sooner. I was also informed that they have a couple of other projects coming up shortly that they'd consider having me work on if the fit was right. All of this sounds great and I'm looking forward to speaking with them again possibly in the next week or two.

This unexpected week off has been fairly productive. My next project with The Cannery doesn't start up until the middle of next week. In the meantime I've been seriously plugging away at updating my reel. Now...finally...it's done. Yay! I was able to add 4 new pieces from the past year and began burning DVD's yesterday. Next I'll be packaging those with updated copies of my resume for mailing to about 20 post houses. This time I'll definitely be stepping up the push. As mentioned, I need to keep the heat turned up twice as much as I have in the past 3 years. Previously I'd been delivering a new reel and resume to each of these post houses, old and new, around every 10 months. I now need to ramp that up to every 4 months just to maintain a constant presence. More phone calls in between will be important as well. This Saturday and Monday everything goes to the post office. Still really need to crack more of those top trailer houses.

Heading to the California Science Center tomorrow to check out "Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination". This exhibit has been at the Science Museum in Boston for the last few years and is finally out this way. Can't wait to check it out at this very appropriate time; a little over a month before the 30th anniversary of the first film and Celebration IV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home