Monday, July 18, 2005

Bountiful Work Fills My Life!

Wow...it's been a whole month since I've posted anything here! And needless to say I’ve been pretty busy.

Finished up working on the behind the scenes making-of pods for "The Island", although I returned to the project for a few changes. 2 weeks ago I began working on a series of 6 behind the scenes featurettes for "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory". Once again I say Man, this has been great! Not only have I been working at Precision Post for over 2 months but also there doesn't seem to be an end in sight! Plus my work has gone directly to three major directors for approval.

First Ridley Scott reviews my work on the "Tristan & Isolde" promo featurette which will be included on the "Kingdom Of Heaven" DVD (as previously mentioned). Next, Michael Bay is heading the approval process regarding the 4 pods of "The Island" And now just last week the "Chocolate Factory" pods went before Tim Burton for his approval. Warner Bros. came back last Monday that he and they had O.K.'d my cut without any changes whatsoever! I am totally amazed since I felt they'd come back with at least a change or 2 in who some of the sound bites were from; more of the producer and less of certain actors for example. But no, they loved it! An early cut went out the door early and they're feedback was we were headed in the right direction.

These last few months have been a great ride and I'm soaking in every minute. Last week we were on such a tight deadline that I ended up working 86 hours averaging 12 to 15 hour days!! But my God when that paycheck comes in...!!!

As of today I learned that the 4 pods I cut for "The Island" international marketing campaign will be included on the DVD! So I was instructed to make some slight changes to accommodate viewers having already seen the movie as opposed to the first cut which of course is geared more like a pre-theatrical release promotional piece.

Having completed that this morning I moved on to my next project, which is cutting a 1-hour making-of featurette intended for the DVD of Tim Burton's "The Corpse Bride". The film is being released theatrically in September. DVD will probably hit stores in early '06. Again, not to sound like a broken record, but I'm flying high working on this stuff! I am replete with cool content and very happy to keep rolling from one project to the next.

About a week ago I was approached by the Operations Manager regarding my continued status as a freelance editor and would I be interested in a staff position. Now, of course I learned a lot from my experience with Autonomy. At this point I am so, SO glad I did not take that position at Autonomy after all. But then I knew that at the time. They have 2 staff editors and a 3 assistant staff editors at Precision, everyone one else being freelance. This is a post boutique BTW. I spoke with one of the freelance editors who told me they had offered him a position a few times but he preferred to stay freelance. He's been there now in that capacity for 3 years but might as well be on staff, maintaining a regular weekly schedule. Bottom line is I could conceivably stay freelance and work regular weekly hours from now on...and yet remain free for future opportunities when they arise. Who could ask for a better scenario?! All in all this is a great place, the projects I'm working on are choice, plus they love me and they love my work.

The Hollywood Bowl project begins in about a month I've been told by the folks at Autonomy and I've already spoken to the powers that be at Precision about going and working on that for a month then returning to continue on with them. What can I say, I think I'm set.

Much to get caught up on. Next will be my report on Comic-Con which I attended this past weekend. I'll also have a number of pics I took from the event posted as well. Plus my long overdue review of "Batman Begins". Believe it or not I still have not seen "War Of The Worlds"...what a crime!! Work just (happily) consumed every moment of my life for the last few weeks. THIS WEEK, DAMNIT! Still wouldn't mind checking out "Fantastic Four" despite some of the reviews, but its not so high on my list now. Even though I've seen "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory" through working on the project at Precision, I still want to see the finished film in the theatre. Plus it's getting some great reviews.

More very shortly...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home