Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Two New Post Houses & "Sith" Week!

A lot has happened work wise since my post about that call from Robert at The Cannery. After completing my 1 day on several making-of featurettes for a new "Spider-Man" video game (contractually I can't say any more at this time), I received a follow up call during C3 from the producer I worked with. She said changes had come back from the client and that they wanted me to continue on the project. They knew I was on the east coast and that I'd be returning sometime the following week. But now with an early return on client comments they wanted to begin as soon as possible.

I explained that I would not be returning to LA until 5 days or so later. She said she'd call back after conferring others. A half hour later I get a call stating they would like to Fed-Ex a firewire hard drive to me for delivery when I return to Albany! I'd mentioned to Robert, the now Director Of Post Production for The Cannery, that I had Final Cut Pro at home and on my laptop which he obviously passed along to them. With this drive containing the project files and all media connected with it I could continue working on the project from 3,000 miles away, sending them EDL's (edit decision lists) via e-mail when I was done. Then they'd link media from their mirrored drive to my cut. God bless technology! I was very taken by the fact they wanted to facilitate my involvement as opposed to just getting some other editor to pick up the slack. They liked my work and wanted me specifically. Wow! This was a major confidence move on their part that I wasn't going to take lightly. Naturally I said 'yes'.

While in Albany I worked 2 and a half days on the project even through a 2nd set of client comments. All in all they (The Cannery and Activision) liked my cuts very much. There was some content that needed to be rearranged and polished but nothing too flamboyant. All together I cut 3 making-of featurettes plus a game demo trailer.

As the final week of my stay in Albany came to a close the phone began ringing...

First came a call out of the blue from a post house I had dropped a reel and resume off at a little over 8 months ago. Precision Productions + Post (new link to your right along with one for The Cannery) does trailers, promos, making-of documentaries and featurettes for DVD's, as well as other long form film projects. They include "The Day After Tomorrow", "X2", "Master & Commander: The Far Side Of The World", "Troy", and "Titanic", just to name a few. Check out their web site for more details. Definitely a major player, definitely a fantastic opportunity!

Their post production coordinator left a voice mail message stating he had my resume in front of him and wanted to see if I could come in for a meeting the following week. My call back gained an interview date of Monday, May 9...the day after my return to LA. Going into this meeting I expected to hear they were in need of freelancers and that I would be getting a call sometime soon. I never expected they'd ask if I could start on a project the very next day! So after commenting on my resume, asking for more info about the type of work I'd done, plus viewing an updated copy of my DVD reel (which I brought) on the spot, work on Tuesday was scheduled to begin at 10am. Now THIS is turnaround!

My first project would be to create several Yahoo! exclusive greetings from Lindsey Lohan and Herbie heralding the upcoming "Herbie Fully Loaded". Then move on to a 90 second making-of promo for the new 20th Century Fox film entitled, "Tristan and Isolde". Again, contractually that's about all I can enpart on this public site. Last week finished out with 3 days of work and a request that I be put on hold for several other projects coming in over the course of the next two weeks. So as "Sith" week starts I begin my 2nd week with Precision, today doing some work on a spot for Disney's "The Greatest Game Ever Played". We're still waiting for further comments on "Tristan & Isolde". The initial group really liked the first cut but now it must pass by some of the higher-ups at Fox.

And yes, there's even more...

KO Creative called once again (same week as Precision) to check on my schedule for several projects possibly happening over a two week period, which they also wanted to put me on hold for. Unfortunately within the next week they'd fallen through the cracks and I once again was in the 'your on our list to call when something comes in'. Hey the main thing is they called a third time! That first gig is coming soon.

Last but not least, I spoke with a fellow editor about two months ago about openings at The Disney Channel for freelance promo editors. He was moving on to new territory and asked if he could pass along my resume to them. After that transaction was made the phone didn't ring for some time and I began to feel like the opportunity had somehow passed. Suddenly, and the day after that call came in from Precision, a post coordinator from The Disney Channel called to check on availability. She asked for an copy of my DVD reel which I overnighted from Albany. Several days later another call from her assistant asked if I could come by for a proper interview and discuss my schedule. The proper interview got put off a bit but only until they'd absolutely need me, and at that point it seemed I was 'in' and that the meeting was simply a formality. A third call expressed regret that two projects pending had not materialized but that they definitely wanted to get me in there. The Disney Channel is not top on my list but still would be a great opportunity as well as good work. I'd also be cutting promos for ABC Family. We'll see what happens...

So here we are just three, count 'em three, days away from the premiere of "Revenge Of The Sith". I just heard over the weekend that the 501st Stormtrooper Brigade will be marching through Hollywood Wednesday night for a 7pm ceremony at The Arclight. I will SO be there! Also planned will be lightsaber demonstrations by stunt fighters representing Master Replicas from Wednesday through Saturday night. Since I now possess multiple night tickets at The Arclight through Saturday I'm really looking forward to enjoying what is fast looking like a four day party event! The first midnight showing will kick off a 24 hour marathon of screenings with the Arclight Cafe staying open all night. "Man, this is gonna to be good!". Advance reviews has positioned this film next to "Empire". Santa, say it is so!!

1 Comments:

At May 17, 2005 at 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just saw the photos...Oh, My God! Love the captions! The first and best true laugh i've had all this past shitty weekend. Thanks for the C3 experience. I'll NEVER forget it. And thanks for listening to me on the phone yesterday. It meant an awful lot. "Oh my, Artoo...I'm Black" !! Bill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home