Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Resolution And "The Truth" About The Offer

Finally some clarification about the staff position at Autonomy...and let me say I'm very relieved.

Last Friday the senior editor asked me to come down to his edit bay for a talk. When I got there he said, 'so...do you want to work here?'. After 5 months of promises to talk about my fate in the staff arena, this was finally the time to say my true intentions and end all the anxiety filled speculation that went with changing gears. There's a comfort level with the senior editor I might not have felt with the president of the company, so I was glad he did the asking. I told him that I'd recently acquired some new opportunities I wanted to pursue, but absolutely wished to continue freelancing with Autonomy. Adding that I'd heard the open position went to someone internally and just figured things changed financially with the company. I said at that point I just figured the offer was possibly moot and went about my work. This was a detail I previously wanted to omit, but somehow felt it fed my underlying case...no clear decision on their part and the 'future career' bus honking it's horn for me to get on board. He asked if he could know what my other opportunites were. I told him one was KO Creative and he responded, 'the trailer house...wow that's pretty cool'. Yes...Gods have called my name and I must heed there commanding voices!!

The senior editor's reaction was regret that they dropped the ball and lost the opportunity to bring me on, but that I'll still be top on their list when it comes to calling in a freelance editor. 'The love is still here', he added which was nice to know. I made sure to voice concern for their welfare in finding the right person to fill the job by my being upfront now regarding future intentions. He very much appreciated that. Although, because of my decision I still expect some type of attitude shift among the people I come in contact with daily. Just a matter of time. If it doesn't happen I'd be very surprised.

Now to the real meat of our talk...

Interestingly enough it turns out he and the director of production are the brains of this company, and they have alot to do with financial moves made. He commented that the president was more of an entrepreneur and did not always have a finite grasp of what could and couldn't happen budget wise. Apparently late in the fall when the position was initially mentioned to me there wasn't enough money to implement filling the vacated staff position. Which is why the night editor who had been there for a year took it over. They essentially did away with the position which opened up in November and moved the night editor to days. The reason the senior editor asked my intentions at this time was because they now have the resources to bring someone new in.

We also talked money...and a ball park figure was revealed of what I could have expected if I took the spot. Surprisingly I'd only be bringing home half of what I make as a freelancer! Yes there'd be benefits taken out, but he told me they pay less than a number of other houses. Point B: now I absolutely know I made the right decision! Plus quite frankly I'm worth more than what they would have ultimately offered. And it goes without saying...the future calls.

So thank God all's well that ends well! I am so fucking relieved! I was seriously sweating a possible severe attitude shift that might cost me work, just by the mere fact they could've felt their feathers a little ruffled even though I did absolutely nothing wrong. WHEW!

In DVD news, "The Greatest American Hero" Season Two came out yesterday which I'll be picking up tonight. Went to Best Buy last night and saw that they'd really stocked up. Should have no problem finding a copy this time. Bill B. told me a new 2 disc DVD 30th Anniversary edition of "Jaws" will be released on June 14, 6 days before the actual 30th date. Very nice. And from what I'm seeing on DVD Empire this version may in fact hold the original much sought after mono audio tracks from the '75 release. YEAH!! My one complaint about the 2000 release was after remastering in 5.1, Universal decided to dump what we all knew and loved; those stock rifle sounds, the singing whale instead of a series of bloops, the shark blowing up (oh sorry I gave the ending away), etc. Bill also told me about a new special edition DVD of George Pal's "War Of The Worlds" coming out right before the Spielberg/Cruise version this summer. Looking forward to the new film but if nothing else we'll be getting a more complete SE of the classic. Thanks Bill...or should I say HI BILL!!!! (I knew it!!!!)

Next post...a trip to Disneyland and the line begins at Mann's Chinese Theatre for "Revenge Of The Sith".

1 Comments:

At April 8, 2005 at 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS JUST IN FROM CNN: CNN has just received word from the executives at Lucasfilm Ltd., that legendary entertainer William Burke WILL be attending the Star Wars Celebration in Indianapolis April 21'st-24'th! The 13 time Oscar winning actor, director, author, singer, songwriter and all-around entertainment icon will be appearing at the 4-day event with his longtime friend David "Doc" Blanchard. Burke, now 41, has literally changed the face of world entertainment since he was 10 years old! Burke will be appearing along with Star Wars creator George Lucas, and a host of other celebrity guests, signing autographs and fielding questions by their millions of fans. The convention will be held at the Indianapolis Convention Center April 21'st -24'th . Give a call when you get this! Bill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home