Monday, April 18, 2005

New Opportunity Before Departure

So here I am flying over The Rockies on my way to Albany. Seems as though there are so many things happening right now...some good and some solemnly contemplative. I kind of feel numb at the moment; not really registering the packing of bags, checking out of my room, returning the rental car, boarding the plane.

Yes I'm excited about going to C3. But there are other things that creep in to my brain patterns. What happens next with work, facing the inevitable move which I now grow impatient to be over and done with. Seems like that's the final box that needs checking off on my list of LA 'to do's'. It sits on a page that sometimes feels like it's turning a little yellow with each day. Maybe I'm just turning yellow, the sound of a ticking clock when I look in the mirror. I'm just a stubborn bastard who wants everything to be O.K...more often than not I need an ‘O.K.’ commitment where reality cannot always offer that. I was never good at life's little disruptions and God knows I’ve had a belly full of them. Why all the droning on when I've been waiting for this week for the last year? Maybe I’m just having my period. C3 does start this Thursday...those of us going will have a phenominal time. By Wednesday when we board the plane for Indianapolis I'll be full tilt ready to be amazed!

Cut to Yoda: "You will be...YOU WILL BE!"

Got a call Friday from the former senior editor at ipostini named Robert. I had not seen him for about a year. His voicemail said he hoped I remembered him and had a project for me to work on at a new company he’s with. The Cannery is a post house just 6 minutes from where I'm staying in Burbank. I'll let the website speak for the types of projects they undertake. When I called back Robert said he really liked my work and my ability to mold a piece independently with no supervision. They just booked a project from Activision involving a new “Spider-Man” game being released later this year…contractually that’s about all I can say.

Robert asked if I could come in that same day to be brought up to speed so I could start cutting the next day, Saturday (yesterday) as well as Sunday. Of course I said yes and went in to meet the creative director and producer along with Robert. The one stipulation being that I’d already booked my flight Sunday so could only give then one day. I was trying to have the best of both worlds; get my foot in the door and still get to Albany for my buffer time before the trip to C3.

I had to switch gears quickly but this was an opportunity I did not want to pass on! Robert also mentioned more projects like this one would be coming down the pike within the next couple of weeks. In other words when I get back from C3 I might be jumping in with these guys for more. Robert gave me some more ramp up on the project Saturday morning where I continued to work a 12 hour shift finishing around 10:30pm. After cutting the two spots one of the producers came by to see how I made out and was very impressed. She also echoed the call of future projects. So this could be fruitful and I really appreciated Robert getting in touch. Keeping in mind I don't believe anything these days until I see the 'money on the table' so to speak. Yet it did sound promising...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home