Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Oscar's Bad Judgement Call And A Job Response

Very happy with the outcome of last night's Oscars. Sure I wanted to see Scorsese finally get his...someday it'll happen. Glad to see Swank, Freeman, and Eastwood bring home the gold. "Baby" certainly deserved the kudos. Hilary Swank had a few words to say that inspired me during her acceptance speech and mentioned to reporters that when she first came to Hollywood she lived in a car with her Mom for a time. Now that I'm in the industry I find myself really appreciating those hopes and dreams realized by winners and nominees alike.

Thought Chris Rock did a fine job (still missed Billy Crystal). He really rode the line during his opening monologue and it seemed the audience felt that way as well. Of course Sean Penn had to retort Rock's crack about Jude Law ('Studio casting; if you want Tom Cruise for your film but can only get Jude Law...wait!'), stating that he was in fact a very fine actor. I understand his point but the man needs to get a sense of humor.

My one big complaint about the show was how some of the awards were handed out to recipients in the aisle near their seats. What if you're the guy or gal whose been waiting your whole life to walk up on that stage, accept your award, and say thank you. Along with having some catagory nominees stand in a line on stage like a beauty pagent, this was more like a Letterman moment, a segregation which didn't even apply to actor awards. On the up side they had seated the nominees for these catagories one row after the other. As each was announced the camera would dolly back to show their faces. Usually with these awards you'd only hear and see their names, with the winner in full camera view upon reaching the stage. Yes it's a time saver when you're trying to bring the show in around 3 hours; walking to the stage can eat minutes. But I hope they do not continue this aisle award presentation in the future. Or at least get rid of it by the time I'm nominated. ;)

I also appreciated that all of the technical award winners given Oscars at a special ceremony a few weeks ago were present to be acknowledged. They don't usually do that.

E-mailed my resume to a post house called Route 66 about 2 weeks ago in response to a posting on Editorsnet.com for Final Cut Pro editors with trailer/promo experience. Received a response today asking to see my reel. Nothing from KO this week (I called to check) although I did receive an e-mail from Autonomy asking if I could come in to start the Lifetime gig this coming Wednesday instead next Monday. Schedule was moved up so I'll be on that now for the next month.

1 Comments:

At March 1, 2005 at 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup - it must suck livin' the dream huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home