Sunday, March 27, 2005

...Oh Really!

Found out something very interesting this past week...

Had a lengthy conversation with a 23 year old staff editor at Autonomy. During most of last year I thought this guy was freelance but it turns out he's been staff for around a year and a half. Anyway, I was curious about how long he had been there as a staff editor since I noticed he was working days now.

Upon asking this, guess what he came back with...???!!

When that other staff editor left in early November of last year they gave this guy the position they had promised me! How do you fucking like that?! But before getting too bent out of shape, let's back up just a tad...

By early March I started wondering what I was getting myself into. Yes a staff position has that whole stablization appeal. But damnit I'm getting impatient to make the oh-so-short leap into the film world. I've been doing broadcast work now for at least 5 years...5 YEARS! The Bowl project being one of the exceptions. Don't get me wrong work has been good, not to mention the great experience I'm accumulating. Maybe I'm starting to (God forbid!) feel older...yes, I'm aging!! But I'm right at KO Creative's door, and a step or two through that door will have me in their living room watching the game and munching on pizza, feeling very much at home and wanting more.

Thought provoking moment...
Say I take the staff position at Autonomy...BPPFFFFFF!!!!! Hey what was that? That was 100 other editors pushing past me to attain the jobs I would have gotten at top flight trailer houses if I hadn't stopped to accept this offer. This has been foremost on my mind of late.

So back to our story about the staff position that had been given to this other guy...
Due to his unknowing revelation I feel a little less uneasy about turning around and letting them know I've recently acquired some new job opportunities (true) and that I'd prefer to stay freelance. But I've been concerned that in some screwy Hollywood way they might begin treating me a bit differently because I turned around in my tracks. Possibly not even bring me in as much for future gigs...sad, but could happen. The whole situation of giving my supposed job to another editor and allowing me to think otherwise has put a little dent in my perception of what I thought was on the table and the people I'm working for.

Then POW! surprise, surprise...Rick came by Thursday and Friday of this past week asking a few more questions about me and my background, saying we should get together soon and have lunch...obviously an indication that this will be some type of 'meeting'. I feel like they're trying to keep me on a fishing line for future commitment...I don't doubt there interest in me for a staff position, just that it could be anytime from now into infinity! Sometimes I think to myself, 'hey you guys had your chance, but the window of opportunity is almost closed. You gotta snap the good people up right away before someone else grabs 'em.' Of course I'd never say that...no I'm not getting an ego, I'm allergic to those!

Laterally, I did hear some nice kudos from Rick and the producer I'm working with regarding my work and performance. The producer said he really appreciated my ability to be very creative with little direction, capturing the tone Lifetime would be looking for. A day later Rick remarked that the producer has continued to comment how easy I am to work with, as well as my talents. I do love hearing all this feedback, knowing that I continue to be a valuable player as the palette of producers I work with at Autonomy expands. This is definitely a project I'm gonna want on my reel...very trailer-esque.

The Lifetime gig will now be ending sometime during the week of April 4 - 8. Based on the buzz I continue to hear there may be a follow up project shortly thereafter. In lieu of the Star Wars Celebration III, I'll be returning to Albany sometime in mid April to prepare for my trip to that galaxy far, far away.

Last and horribly least, HERE is the worst movie that will come out this year. Just look at the title and glance at the characters pictured on the movie's web site. B-fucking-AD!!! You don't even have to watch the trailer. It will probably be like viewing the videotape from "The Ring". Stop now and destroy it!! "Wait...it's a trick...get an axe."

1 Comments:

At March 30, 2005 at 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, JEEEEEZZUUUSSSS!!!! You gotta be fucking KIDDING me, right? THE HONEYMOONERS!? Just kill me now and get it the frig overwith!! I'd MUCH sooner watch "The Exorcist", "Faces of Death", and the Nick Berg video...ALL WHILE DROPPING ACID!!! They might as well call it "The HoneyCOONers"!! Sorry. It's not that I'm a bigot. Far from it...Oh God. Words just fail me right now. Oh, Hi! It's Bill. And I've got some neat news, in case you haven't already heard: I just read that the "Titanic" special edition is in the works, for an October release date! It will feature a 2(possibly 4) disc set, with 3 commentaries:Decaprio, Winslet & Cameron, as well as documentaries,trailers,etc. Also, the "Episode III sountrack (due May 3'rd) will feature a special dvd w/music videos from all six films, and commentary from Lucas! In other matters, it's still too early for my vacation request, so they tell me. I'll submit it 2'nd week in April. Meanwhile, give a call when you can. Keep the thought, dude! "Honeymooners"....SSSIIIIDDDDOOOOWWWWWNNN!!!! Bill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home