Saturday, February 19, 2005

Winter Storm?

Unlike what you normally see in the sun drenched San Fernando Valley, it poured here today and I mean poured! This morning as I drove to work I saw a river of water about the width of a car running down the street for three blocks towards the nearest storm drain. As it slammed into tires of the parked vehicles curbside the water shot up two feet into the air. One of the streets I traversed had some huge puddles but nothing like what they're talking about in other parts of LA.

Of course all of this wet weather is normal to my eyes and driving experience. But to everyone else here it's a 'WINTER STORM! Lash yourselves down because the big one is upon us!!!' At least that's how they proclaim it on the local news. I have to laugh. The big one? It's raining. Is it snowing? No. Then wake me when it does but in the meantime I'm going back to sleep.

As several of these storms have proven over the last month or so, California is just not built for percipitation. Yes there are some real problems in the outer areas with mudslides and partially flooded highways and I don't belittle that, but pouring down rain is a welcome change for me. I'm having to buy some rain gear because that's the last thing I'd bring on the plane to sunny LA.

1 Comments:

At February 22, 2005 at 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well after watchin' the news today you better roll up the car windows and get the hip waders out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home