Saturday, February 26, 2005

Oscar Eve Roundup



Had to go to The Kodak Theatre yesterday to check out construction of the red carpet area for The Oscars Sunday night. I was really amazed at how far you could get into the complex before hitting a security checkpoint or blocked off area. Plus the actual red carpet was down to facilitate the placing of canopies, camera equipment, etc. Although several key areas were covered with plastic to protect them from impending rain. So you could say in a way, I've walked the red carpet (which is actually more a bergundy color). I reached down and ran my hand along it like someone going to their favorite baseball park and feeling the grass on the field.



A brief trip to snap a few turned into an hour and a half because quite frankly, I just didn't want to leave. Finally I broke away to grab a snack at the upstairs food court. In what seemed like a perfect movie moment, I'd just barely sat down to dig in when I turned and saw Oscar host Chris Rock walking right by me answering questions for a couple of reporters, cameras rolling and lights blaring. I had to smile, thinking how great it was to be in this town.



After seeing a number of the nominated films, here are my predictions for Oscar night:

Best Picture - "Million Dollar Baby"
Despite "The Aviator"'s grand canvas, which is normally an Academy favorite, I think Clint's film may make it over the top. It's definitely the best and most well rounded of the five. However it's not a lock.

Best Director - Martin Scorsese/"The Aviator"
This is how The Academy should do the right thing. Finally honoring Scorsese after countless landmark films and nominations. Which still leaves room for Eastwood to get an Oscar for "Baby" because he also produced the film. Simple, everybody's happy. Although as of late I really think Eastwood will end up winning.

Best Actor - Jamie Foxx ("Ray")
Absolute no brainer, and well deserved.

Best Actress - Hillary Swank ("Million Dollar Baby")
Again no brainer, she's earned it.

Best Supporting Actor - Morgan Freeman ("Million Dollar Baby")
After 3 previous nominations I think Freeman will finally take home gold, despite the head to head of Thomas Haden Church and Clive Owen some are talking about. Along with Alan Alda in "The Aviator" in my opinion he's the top of the bunch. If Alda should happen to win, great as well. Freeman has it.

Best Supporting Actress - Cate Blanchett ("The Aviator")
Many have discussed how worthy of this award Virginia Madsen's performance in "Sideways" was, but I disagree. To me it's between Cate and Natalie Portman (for "Closer").

Plus my particular catagory: Best Film Editing - "Ray"
Paul Hirsch, who last won for "Star Wars", did an amazing job sewing together the fabric of Ray Charles life, in part through nicely cut tangenting flashbacks. Out of the 5 nominees here I can't think of anyone more deserving. Thelma Shoonmaker could still take home her 2nd Oscar for "The Aviator", but I really hope it's Hirsch.

Also as a reminder, don't forget to catch my Olay showmercial which airs during the 30 minute red carpet pre-show on ABC directly before the Oscar ceremony. Again it's four "Desperate Housewive" types watching the red carpet arrivals on TV, commenting on clothes and makeup.

3 Comments:

At February 26, 2005 at 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cub reporter David B. Olsen of the Daily Planet ... shouldn't you be a special correspondent for "Access Hollywood"? Heck, maybe you're the next Billy Bush!
Now 'Shut Up' and win one already would ya?

 
At February 27, 2005 at 12:25 PM, Anonymous Ferris said...

Ditto on pretty much all of your predictions. Think Million Dollar Baby may take best editing though. Nothing like Ray's cutting out of all of 'em. Would love to see Natalie Portman win, NO Virginia Madsen! Very cool pics, I'm amazed they let people walk on the carpet. Get your fucking tourist shoes off! This is for Hollywood royalty!........you shoulda called me when you were in the Kodak. I was four blocks from there friday afternoon. Scorcese's gonna get the carpet ripped out from under him once again....(sniff). Praise the mighty Oscar.

 
At February 28, 2005 at 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Bill! Love the red carpet photos! Hard to believe you're actually there! Great show sunday. Everything was kept uniform short and sweet. "Million Dollar Baby" was pretty much a given for best picture I thought. Freeman finally got his gold, which was long overdue. The memorial tribute, while very well done, could've been a bit more touching for me, but that's just nitpicking. All in all a great show! I'm really at a loss for words tonight; just wanted to say Hey! IT'S FUCKING SNOWING AGAIN!! We're expecting 10 to 14 inches (Hi Bill!) by tuesday! March is certainly going in like a leopard...or, out like a llama...or..however the hell that saying goes! I'm gonna rent "Ray" this week. I'll let you know what I think. Give a call when you can! Bill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home