Wednesday, October 13, 2004

More than a note...

Last night I was thinking about how I wanted to do more than just place a note on the star of Christopher Reeve...a very nice note at that, but still not quite enough in my book. So today I brought flowers to Reeve's makeshift memorial in the heart of Hollywood...







...Two dozen red and yellow roses tied with a blue bow I placed right above our note. The color scheme of course is obvious.







There's probably three times as many tribute items today then two days ago, which include a message written on what looks like Superman's cape. Even a pair of Clark Kent glasses that look exactly like those used in the films. Bubblegum cards, artwork, comics, personal photos of people with Reeve...







One of the most heartfelt was this promo cutout of The Man Of Steel flying from The Daily Planet, with a number of DC characters on the roof saying "Goodbye Superman! We'll miss you!".







Like Monday afternoon I felt drawn to stay there for a time...perhaps it was a way of bringing home the reality of it all, perhaps it was a way of saying a long goodbye. Now at least I feel I've paid more complete and proper respects...



Two years ago when I was afraid to fly but knew I had to, I picked up a large red plastic I.D. tag for my luggage and placed a sticker of a Superman "S" on it...the movie "S". That was me taking strength from Reeve as Superman. Doing what I have to now to completely fulfill my dream will take strength from Reeve the man.

5 Comments:

At October 14, 2004 at 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, not a dry eye in Metropolis.
It was a lot of fun to see him on Smallville (winks and nods all around) and hoping they would do more with his part.
Thanks for placing the card fellas.

 
At October 21, 2004 at 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, It's me!!! Ifinally figured out how to post a message to you! Oh, It's me, Bill by the way. I'm posting frm here @ my friend's house (HiiiiiBiiiilllll)! I really don't know what else to say. I'm feeling like a kid who's being interviewed on tv for the first time. Just rambling on I guess. Anyway, My weeklong tribute to Christopher Reeve continues tonight with "Superman III. This time the Man of Steel has his hands full, as Robert Vaughn plays a millionare w/plans to use computers to rule the world. veteran comedian Richard Pryor also stars as Gus Gorman, a ne'er do well computer whiz who unwittingly turns Superman into(gasp!) a bad guy! Can the romance of Clark Kents High school flame (Annette O'Toole) save the Man of Steel from his own "dark side"? Find out in "Superman III"! Neat,huh? Give me a call when you get this! Your friend always: William E. Burke.

 
At October 28, 2004 at 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Guess who...It's Bill! It's 3:05 am eastern and i'm here @work. Itried to send you a message tuesday night, but for some weird reason it took forever for your website to download. Well, that doesn't matter now. A couple of quick things; first, the "It's Alive" posters have STILL not come in yet. HOWEVER...While browsing Moviegoods.com(tm), I found the advance one sheet for Superman II, w/the villains standing atop the poster,etc. It goes w/out saying of course that I WANT THIS POSTER!!!! I don't give a @#?!!## how much it "cossstttsss"! I also found the folded one sheet for King Kong 1976! Again, money's no object! And speaking of King Kong, actor Julius Harris died recently according to Entertainment Weekly. Harris appeared in King Kong '76 (.."Ain't bustin' MY ass for no white company white man, heh, heh"!) He apparently died in a nursing home somewhere. He was 81. He also appeared in "Live and Let Die". Well, that's all for now i'm afraid. I'll let you know when the posters finally come in. Meanwhile, call me and we'll work on the other ones. Call me when you get this. Your friend always, Bill B.

 
At November 1, 2004 at 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Bill agaian! Tired of me yet? You will be...You will beeee....! I'm here @ work and once again have access to a computer. I took last friday off for a 3 day Halloween weekend, and had my neice Marisa over for chinese food and 'Beetlejuice'. She's never seen it, and got a big kick out of it! Saturday, I went out to the local "Hi Bill" bar w/Muffy, Schmuck, and a couple girls they know. I did the Indy costume("A BLACK Indy"?), and one of the girls got pelted w/eggs by some punks passing by. Halloween night itself was nothing short of BOOOORRRRRIIINNGGGGG!!! Iwent out w/out costume, and just had a few drinks. The bar was doing The Rocky Horror Picture Show on a projection screen, which was pretty cool. that aside the evening was pretty uneventful. I got your message re: the Christopher Reeve memorial in New York, and would LOVE to go, given the time and the money. I still can't bring myself to believe he's actually gone. Well, that's it for now I'm afraid. Next posting promises to have a new Superman "Reeveview". Meanwhile I'll let you know as soon as the "It's Alive" posters come in. Call me when you get this. Best wishes, Bill.

 
At November 3, 2004 at 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, it's Bill again! I know I promised another "Reeveview" this message, but I'm short on time tonight. Sorry. However, I was just browsing StarWars.com, and they're a really cool Exclusive Embossed Trilogy Banner that measures some 39x37". the poster sells for 19.95 each. I'm willing to put the Superman and King Kong posters on hold for 2 of these instead. Sorry I'm so short on time. We're trying to track down a graffitti artist whose been leaving his mark on the main campus lately. Call me when you get this, and we can discuss the poster situation. Best wishes...Bill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home