Friday, September 17, 2004

Sky Editor and The World Of Hollywood

Crossing Hollywood Blvd. on my way home, I routinely glance down the street towards The Kodak and Mann's Chinese Theatre, three blocks from Autonomy. Immediately I saw two very familiar giant objects standing just outside Mann's. I quickly veered left into the $2 parking garage under The Kodak and walked across the street to find the premiere of "Sky Captain and The World Of Tomorrow". Unfortunately I had gotten there just a little bit too late. The stars had already walked the red carpet and were inside Mann's Chinese Theatre waiting for the film to start...D'OH! So I decided to snap a few anyway...since those inflatable giant robots were just too cool!







A few moments earlier and I just might have seen this...







Here is the lonely red carpet leading to the entrance of Mann's where Angelina Jolie, Jude Law, and Gwyneth Paltrow had just walked.







On the way back to the parking garage, I spotted an area about a block away where they would obviously be holding the post premiere party...several tents plus a large open area that had SFX clips from the film projected on giant screens. This is the type of event that really brings home where I work...kind of like a breath of Hollywood splendor. Not that I always need to be reminded, but sometimes I get wrapped up in work and forget to look at the big film world which surrounds me.



On the work front, I finished a little early this week on the BET promo. Turns out the network was being a bit slow in responding to our most recent alterations so they were trying to find things for me to do in between. Plus the seniot editor, Andy, was through with his most recent project so they turned over the online finishing to him. Originally there was to be no work next week with a couple of projects forming for the following. Before I left yesterday Gina said there would in fact be work for at least the next two weeks.



She also came by the edit suite to discuss future scheduling, relating once again their overall delight with my work. Was told that my desire for a staff position has been passed on to Chris Jean, the Production Supervisor. The general consensus by Chris, Andy, and Gina is that I am the logical choice for the next staff editor position, and Chris wishes to meet with me about that prospect. Gina said there probably would not be an opening immediately, but that she very much wanted to keep me in the inner circle and continue to schedule me for freelance projects on a very regular basis. Work is definitely not slowing down. So I could invariably be busy almost straight through until the Holidays at this point. Woohoo! Keeping my fingers crossed.



We also spoke of our mutual happiness that I'd finally gotten in the door. Plus my amazement at the size of the first project...The Bowl...coming into a new post house the first time. Usually post houses bring in new people for a week or a few days to try them out. Her reply was she had a good vibe about me in general after seeing my resume and reel, plus the e-mail's we bounced back and forth for eight months prior to meeting, which happened the day I actually started at Autonomy. After seeing me work for a short time it became clear that I wasn't just a fill-in editor. I took control of The Bowl and flew with it, also evident in the few follow up projects since.



So all in all a sparkling report card...A+.



Now I've settled into Extended Stay America in Burbank and am very happy. I'm also off until the beginning of next week. Here's another area where everything is right at my fingertips and work is 7 miles away as opposed to 16...with only one mile of freeway travel time. It really doesn't hurt me too much that there's a Best Buy, Target, Olive Garden, and Krispy Kreme right next to the hotel. Tomorrow I start scoping the area a bit more...

1 Comments:

At September 17, 2004 at 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Robot Boy!!! Nothing sez Hollywood Premiere like giant inflatable robots.
Say - why not just buy a house out there. Then you don't have to keep changing hotels, and the rest of us will have some place to stay when we visit.
Keep up the good work, and get yer name in the paper more often!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home