Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Day O' Trilogy

Today it was nice not having to work because I could get up, trot the entire half mile to Best Buy (literally at the opposite end of the parking lot where I'm staying), pick up "Star Wars", and enjoy the revelry.



There had been a couple of Best Buy's on the west side which opened at midnight and included parties, music, etc. Sounded like a lot of fun...but I wasn't too hip on travelling to a Best Buy location I wasn't real familiar with at midnight in LA. Today when I arrived at the store here in Burbank, there was the usual giant cardboard display choked to the brim and then some. Surrounding it were several tables manned by employees who were only too happy to hand you the Trilogy. I thought O.K., this ain't gonna work for me...gotta pick out my own.



As I moved around the display I spotted a guy in his mid fifties who was perusing a number of widescreen versions to find an pristine box. Being of the same ilk I piped in with, 'hey it looks like you're hunting for the same thing I am'. His reply was 'Yup...God they made the packaging so flimsy'. As I picked one up I noticed exactly the same thing. This is "Star Wars" for God's sake!...could we at least get something of the weight and heft of the "Indy" boxed set? Nope! How about a metal case like "Highlander" or "T2"?. Noooope!!



Around me I noticed several people each looking over multiple copies for dents and dings. I felt like a closeted gay man realizing there were more like me in the world and I could finally 'come out'. Then one of the employees said, 'I've got some more boxes under the table if you'd like to look through 'em...I do the same thing, look for the absolute best one, so I totally understand'. I said, 'absolutely'. Couldn't have been a better morning...hobnobbing with fans who were insanely anal like myself.



Moving toward the checkout I noticed the line had quadrupled. Now it ran from the front of the store a full 2/3's distance to the back. They even had several employees near the registers directing traffic, holding up fingers like one would see trying to get a table at some mobbed restaurant on Saturday night...too funny.



So here I sit with my shiny, happy copy of the "Star Wars" Trilogy at last...WITH NOTHING BIG ENOUGH TO WATCH IT ON UNTIL I GET BACK EAST...D"OH!!! Yeah I know...shut up, it's comin'!



One final interview comment from the Associated Press today:



AP: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?



Lucas: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it.



YOU SUCK!!!!......YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha! VHS, if anybody wants it...BITE ME!!!



...O.K., but yeah I was there first thing this morning to pick up my copy. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home