Monday, September 20, 2004

"Sky Captain", the perversion of The Holy Trilogy, and a brief change of plans...





Saw "Sky Captain and The World Of Tomorrow" last Friday night. Thought it was really good...the visuals especially were awesome. They totally captured the look of the old serials like Buck Rogers and Max Fleicsher's "Superman" cartoons. The story was very basic, as it was in the 30's and 40's, with the best part being the banter between Gwyneth Paltrow and Jude Law. Angelina Jolie has a couple of interesting and exciting scenes, but is on screen a lot less than I expected.



I'd have to say I enjoyed it, but came away unsure as to whether I'd buy the DVD. This of course being 'the bar' to which I secondarily hold every film against...is it good enough to own. After a few days have passed I'd say that I'm up to watching "Sky Captain" again. This is starting to feel like a film that will grow on me more in time. Definitely looking forward to the making-of supplementals on the DVD. First round at the theater: good film...but not quite "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" like some critics are comparing it too.







TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2004....TIME TO BUY THE "STAR WARS" TRILOGY...that is all.



So yeah, there's going to be a bunch of stuff I will right out loud boo at...still am eager to get the box set. This week's Entertainment Weekly has an article asking George Lucas why release the special editions as opposed to the originals. His reply of course was "do I please myself and make the movie that I wanted, or do I allow the audience to see the half-finished version that they fell in love with?". You know there are two options to that question, George...JUST ADD BOTH, MR. POTATOHEAD!!



Received an e-mail from Gina today stating the work they had hoped to book has not materialized yet, so it's unlikely they'll be needing me for the rest of the week. This presents a major decision crossroad. I very much need to update my reel and resume. I have masters of all the work I've done for Autonomy...with the exception of the BET spot they should be running off for me tomorrow. At this point I need to head back east for several days; get everything upgraded, take care of a few minor things, then return to LA in lieu of upcoming work. Tomorrow I'll be getting in touch with a few post houses I've interviewed or touched base with in recent months. Most notably I need to contact New Wave Entertainment again. If you recall I had a second interview with them in March.



Nothing back from Hammer Creative Advertising yet, despite my three voice messages. Have the impression they needed to pencil editors in at the time they contacted me in late August. I was still in the Bowl project, but was fairly precise regarding the wrap-up date. Since I was not 100% clear of work at that time, they probably went ahead and picked another freelance editor. This, however, does not take me out of the loop. I've interviewed with them, my foot is still in the door, I feel it's just a question of when.



So if I leave here to come home it could be as early as this Wednesday, the 22nd, returning by Monday or Tuesday of next week. This is all still very much up in the air. We'll see what tomorrow brings...

1 Comments:

At September 24, 2004 at 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude - You called George Lucas "Mr. Potato Head"
LOL
You'll never work in this town again!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home